News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rockets Artillery

Sure Igor - what a neatly clean hand-writing here !

"Duke Alexandre de W?rtemberg is honoured to announce to His Excellency Lord Walpole, that with respect to his representations, His Imperial Majesty willing to reward the services rendered during the siege of Danzig by Major Macdonald in the service of His British Majesty, has decided to grant him the Order of Ste Anne of the Second Class, as well as that of St Wladimir of the 4th Class to Captains Macleod and Montagu. The Duke joins 20 Crosses of St George of the 5th Class, for the low-officers and soldiers, whose zeal and bravery had been particularly commended by their Chiefs, the list of whom he has the honour of joining as well.

Duke Alexandre de Wurtemberg takes advantage of this occasion to ensure his Excellency Lord Walpole of his highest regard."

Salutations,

J?r?me

Edited by Djedj

Igor,

Here's your Major Macdonald I think - and he's Royal Horse Artillery :

Published in The Times, Monday, Dec 27, 1813

(From the LONDON GAZETTE, Saturday, Dec. 25)

IPB Image

Published in The Times, Monday, May 25, 1840 :

DIED

On the 21st inst., at Leamington, Major-General Alexander Macdonald, CB, K. st. A., Royal Artillery.

Salutations,

J?r?me

Edited by Djedj

That's some fantastic stuff you have here igor !

Looks quite clear that your "Mackenzee" belong to the RHA then.

As for Lord Walpole, he obvioulsy had some diplomatic role :

July 27th 1812. General Viscount Cathcart's embassy to the Court of Russia left the Roadstead in the frigate " Aquilon." Lord Walpole, secretary of Legation to Lord Cathcart, sailed in the " Calipso" to the head.-quarters of the Russian army.

Cheers,

J?r?me

Bonjour Igor,

With pleasure indeed !

"Sending attached to His Excellency Lord Walpole the Cross of Ste Anne of the second class for Major Macdonald, and two crosses of the order of St Vladimir for Messrs. Captains Macleod and Montaigu, of whom his Majesty the Emperor has accepted to decorate these 3 officers for the blockade and siege of Danzig, the Duke of Wurtemberg takes eagerly advantage of this occasion to renew the expression of his highest consideration to His Excellency."

Note that the structure of this translation is somehow a bit "heavy", on a commendable effort on my part to convey the "heavy" structure of the original French text :P

Meilleures salutations,

J?r?me

• 2 weeks later...

Cross of st. George 5th class of John McKenzie for Bravery in Danzic in 1813

I know about two gunners with this name in Royal Horse Artillery

1st - Gunner John Mc Kenzie served in 'E' Troop Royal Horse Artillery commanded by Lieut. Colonel Gardiner

or

2nd - Gunner John McKenzie served in 'H' Troop Royal Horse Artillery commanded by Lieut. Colonel May

Who is "my" ? :(

Anybody can help me ? :banger:

• 5 months later...

Cross of st. George 5th class of John McKenzie for Bravery in Danzic in 1813

I know about two gunners with this name in Royal Horse Artillery

1st - Gunner John Mc Kenzie served in 'E' Troop Royal Horse Artillery commanded by Lieut. Colonel Gardiner

or

2nd - Gunner John McKenzie served in 'H' Troop Royal Horse Artillery commanded by Lieut. Colonel May

Who is "my" ? :(

Anybody can help me ? :banger: