News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 EK 1

Guest Rick Research

Given how few 1870 EK1s were bestowed, and the political ban on WW2 awards after 1945, the 1914s were the only 1st Class Iron Crosses that were actually WORN over a long period of time, so they are often repaired like this. To me, such repairs are a sign of individualized character, and the respect the original recipient had for his specific Cross--when a "perfect" replacement could have been bought cheaply new.

Here's a silver marked example with the same sort of silver needle pin carefully replaced. It is not bent accidentally.

[attachmentid=6380]

This was carefully measured to not extend below the bottom arm. The bend and a "3-D 'S' wiggle" that doesn't show in the straight on scan are there as an extra attempt, pinned THROUGH clothing rather than using the usual German clothing loops, to keep it from falling off!

There are an amazing number of manufactured and improvized (like mine) systems for keeping 1914 EK1s from falling off, unlike any other type. Vaulting is one logical method--keeping the ends of the arms snugged down to prevent snagging--that always surprises me was NOT used on the larger, heavier 1939 crosses sticking out from pleated uniform pockets.

Thanks Rick,

I have an EK1 with a very similar reverse hinge/pin setup and incuse relief 800 stamp (stamp in a different location though). I wanted to see if the cores matched but unfortunately no luck - definitely different. I don't think my needle pin example is repaired (I could be wrong of course) - needle pin EK1s are known but definitely uncommon (eg AWS pillow-backs). Will post some pics tomorrow.

Regards

Mike K

Mike and Rick, Thanks for the opinions and showing yours.I like both of them.

Your also right about them being addictive,I'll have an EK 1 1939 in a few weeks

so that I'll have a 1st and 2nd class from both world wars. beer.gif

Thanks, Jim P