News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

austrian orders

David M

I have the following problem

for quite some officers of the kurhessian army, I have the year they received their austrian award. However I would like to know the exact dates to complete the biographical entry in my book

e.g. Heinrich Schmidt received his Grandcross ?LO in 1846.But when in 1846?

Any chance of finding this out without having to ask the archives in Vienna and paying 40? for a date (as I did with the kurhessian Gesdanter von Steuber)

hope someone can help me out here

Thanks

David M

Dear David,

if you really need a hughe bulk of datas, then the cheapest way would be to sponsor a masterthesis at the History Department at the University of Vienna. Students with an official letter from their professor can use the archives free of charge, as far as I remember from my time as a student.

So, if a student is writing a masterthesis about relations between Kurhessen & Austria, that would be the solution.

Companies or private persons, who want to sponsor a masterthesis (or doctorthesis), have to contact the professor (or professors) of the matching sub-department.

The sponsorship of masterthesis is quite common at technical and economic universities, where there is valid interest in some topics.

The sponsorship of a M.A. or M.Sc. might be cheaper :unsure: .

Vienna is also one of the rare academic places in the world, where you can study (M.A. & PhD) the science of numusmatics, with phaleristics as a branch :D .

The cheapest way would be, if you yourself inscribe at History in Vienna as a student and do the job by yourself ;) .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

I have the following problem

for quite some officers of the kurhessian army, I have the year they received their austrian award. However I would like to know the exact dates to complete the biographical entry in my book

e.g. Heinrich Schmidt received his Grandcross ?LO in 1846.But when in 1846?

Any chance of finding this out without having to ask the archives in Vienna and paying 40? for a date (as I did with the kurhessian Gesdanter von Steuber)

hope someone can help me out here

Thanks

David M

Hi Christian

Thanks for the info....I would have hoped on something like abook or a list in the austrian 19th century Staatscalenders I did no know of....that would be far easier :-))

Any chance of people you know in Viennan doing research in the archives regularly and finding time to look up some dates?

Thanks in advance

David

Dear David,

you might try to get into contact with the ?GO http://www.ordenskunde.at/ .

Or contact the phaleristic expert at the HGM http://www.hgm.or.at/ :

Professor Vizeleutnant Walter A. Schwarz

Heeresgeschichtliche Museum Wien

Arsenal, Objekt 1

Tel.: +43 1 79561-60301

Fax: +43 1 5200-17707

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Hi Christian

Thanks for the info....I would have hoped on something like abook or a list in the austrian 19th century Staatscalenders I did no know of....that would be far easier :-))

Any chance of people you know in Viennan doing research in the archives regularly and finding time to look up some dates?

Thanks in advance

David