News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWII Canadian Group

Hi again, just thought I'd post this little group and own up to an underhand purchase : :ninja: : A few years ago I was out shopping with the wife!!! the day was coming to a close and the local parking is adjacent a secondhand shop, so while the wife put the shopping in the car I took myself off for a mooch, as you do ;) , this little group was there, displayed in one of those cabinets under lock and key, putting on my disinterested face :rolleyes: I asked the assistant how much he wanted for the group of medals, he said ?45 GBP :speechless1: asked if he would take any less he said no, I couldn't talk him around; to be honest I wasn't particularly interested in the group not being an area of collecting for me, I was more concerned about him not wanting to accept a lower price, did he know something? this was when I decided on a little deception :ninja: On the way home I explained to the wife what had happened in the shop and I talked her into a return visit the following week, if the medals were still there we would put our cunning little plan to work!!! Well we returned, I explained to the missus where the medals were and off she went, 10 minutes later we were back in the car with the medals, the plan; my wife approached the asistant and asked about the medals and asked what price they were, ?45 GBP the assistant replied, well, there not for me, replies the wife, they are for my father who is sick in hospital, he likes to collect little things from WWII to remind him of old times but I'm afraid his pension :( wouldn't run to paying out ?45 GBP, then the wife says, I suppose I could buy them for him but I can't really afford that price would you take ?35 GBP? I got them, that was about twelve years ago, they hold a place in my heart and in my collection and I still have my wife :P

The group consists of 1939-1945 Star, France and Germany Star, 'Canadian' Defence and War Medal with EII Canadian Forces Decoration engraved S/SGT W.PRICHETT, I assume these were originally mounted in Canada, the mounting pin is stamped J.R.GAUNT MONTREAL the pin also has MADE IN ENGLAND, I suppose the pins would be made for export, any other theories? I know nothing about the group other than what I have mentioned here, there is always the possibilty that they are a D Day Group but, we may never know. Was I underhanded, I don't know but I enjoyed the game :cheers:

Sorry about the quality of the picture, they are full size medals.

Best regards

Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

I would really like to see these come back home to Canada. How about I give you the original price of 45 GBP. :rolleyes: Just think how good you will feel knowing that you have returned this group to their native land and you've made a profit.

I'm only thinking of you, of course. :lol:

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

I am in the process of repatriating a Canadian soldier home for the first time in 60 plus years....well whats left:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...N:IT&ih=005

I should have a copy of his service record at about the same time as he gets home.

Hi Laurence, congratulations on your winning bid, nice group :D cracking amount of paperwork, you don't often see all that for what I would say was a reasonable price for a WWII casualty. I like your repatriation theme, with his service records you should have a nice collective history of the guy, when you get it pulled together don't forget to share it with us.

Best regards

Geoff :beer:

Hi Geoff,

I would really like to see these come back home to Canada. How about I give you the original price of 45 GBP. :rolleyes: Just think how good you will feel knowing that you have returned this group to their native land and you've made a profit.

I'm only thinking of you, of course. :lol:

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Hi Brian and thanks for the offer, I am genuinely touched by your concern for the groups repatriation ;) and, the exceedingly generous offer you have suggested, I am afraid, after much deliberation :shame: 'about 2 seconds', I will have to turn it down, nice try :beer:

Best regards

Geoff.

A nice long service group.

In case you are interested: Prichett received the CD in 1961 serving with the Royal Canadian Engineers.

Cheers

Adam

That's brilliant, thanks for the information Adam, I didn't know what regiment he was in or when the CD was awarded, as I said WWII is not area I collect although I do have a couple of nice groups and bits and pieces I have picked up over the years, as you do ;) I will update my database to include this new information, again many thanks. :beer:

Best regards

Geoff.