News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,
    I`d very much like to hear from anyone who has an interest in the Ripper case, of particular interest to me is the street bobbies roll in the case.
    Can anyone tell me which Divisions supplied extra bobbies to go into Whitechapel to help out. I believe that A Div sent some (PC Long), who found the writng on the wall, and L Div had a CID Officer dressed as a women. Surely the immidiate surrounding Div`s would also have sent guys, ie K Div,G Div? Has anyone got any thoughts or evidence that might be of help, if so I`d very much like to hear from you.
    Gordon.

I would have thought that most if not all divisions would have sent aid to Whitechapel at the height of the ripper murders. A, C, J, T, and L certainly had officers who played a role in the relevant murder invetigations as well of course the central players on H divisions and the city of London police. Considering the publicity and outcry at the time all spare resources would certainly have been used.

A couple of things for your info.

The Met. Museum has been closed (allegedly temporarily) due to lack of funds and Ray Seal is subsequently no longer the curator. There are no real service records for Victorian policemen but there are basic certificates of service covering certain years, these are kept at the PRO. The Met Museum does have service records for officers from about the 1920 to 30?s onwards, but as the archive has been closed it is not accessible. There are also divisional ledgers for certain divisions (many having been lost), but these only show basic details of officers who joined. The aid to Whitechapel Division would have been on an ad hoc basis with different officers being sent on a regular basis. This would not appear on service records nor would it appear in Police Orders as it was aid to the division not an attachment. Officers would only have done a few days about and may have even just done it on a daily basis every now and then, depending on what the commitment was at the time. Due to the publicity though the area was probably flooded with policemen 24 hours a day at the height of the killings.

• 3 weeks later...