News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looks like one of the thousands of these that are fake and have flooded the markets world-wide over the last 4 years....... If you look closely at the lid you'll see a mold line where the top was cast..... I have never seen anything that crude on what I would consider a period stein. I would be very careful about purchasing anything like this unless it came from a dealer with a written guarantee and rock-solid return policy.

And another view............. Literally, pick your unit, your genre, etc. The initial offering of these was very cheesy looking and even cheaper looking than these.......... They become a little "cleaner", a little more ornate, etc. with the second/third generation of these that appeared. Apart from the cheap pot-metal lids, the garish colors and paint and (frankly) poor painting despite the amount of detail they cram onto these, should have you gripping your wallet very tightly. The last Brimfield flea market I went to in September, I stopped counting at 300.....

Thanks for you effort in replying!Still, I am not convinced.Maybe it?s because of mine having a different pattern of design.The pics you show don?t have a connect to mine IMO.Anyway you seem to have knowledge on these,so let me ask something,although I usually don?t get answers on this site.....the thing you can see in post #9 is letting one look into the glass where you then can see a locomotive,is this common with fakes?The name the stein is given to,can be found on the list right-side of the handle,again is this a common thing for fakes?And finally ,any pic you posted seems to share a pattern of design,I can?t see one there that has a partial area like mine with the "hopfen und malz.." saying.

Regards

Greetings Rosenberg, a quick search on eBay.de will show you 100+ different variations on these. That alone should tell you something. The names, the units, the sayings will all be different as each one is individually painted by (probably) slave-labor wage "employees" in some underdeveloped country. I have yet to see an authentic example of a stein of this type.

Also, not the similarities between the base marks on your stein and the base marks of the railway stein I posted for you that is similar in design as well as similar in top "ornament".

I leave this matter to you for your own conclusions.

If you are satisfied that the piece is authentic and you are happy with it, then enjoy your piece, by all means. We each must make our individual conclusions on what we collect and ultimately, on the authenticity of the items we own.

Best Regards, Rick

I think this is a sad situation with these. I can count on one hand the number of authentic ones I ever saw. The first generation of these all had the lithopane bases that you could see (usually) a woman's face in the base. The second/third generation of these were like yours and the 2 I posted. Often they will have the fake marks on the bottom. Think these are cute, you should see some of the absolute rubbish WW2 ones floating around the marketplace. Those have been out long enough now to have acquired some "age & patina" and people are paying all sorts of stupid money for steins that are about 20-30 years old!

Hi Rick,

I did get in touch with a Stein-expert,who told me mine is good!I cannot comment on the characteristics he chooses for assessment but he also shows interest in buying it.This is his answer in German:

Hallo Herr xxxx, einen sch?nen Reservistenkrug haben Sie da geerbt. Er

ist eindeutig echt und als Betriebsabteilung auch f?r Spezialisten als etwas

seltener

einzustufen. Vor dem Euro wurde so etwas um die 2500.- DM gehandelt. Habe

selbst einen ?hnlichen, w?rde aber, wenn er zum Verkauf stehen w?rden,

Interesse bekunden.

Mit Sammlergru?

Harald Busse

Anyway thanks for your help on this!If you hadn?t woke me up I wouldn?t have felt the need to clearify.

Regards