News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

American countries' militatia for identification (made by "Meyer")

• Replies 61
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

I would guess these date from the 1950s, which was the peak of U.S. influence there. I remember Meyer cards exactly like these on my great-uncle the Colonel's insignia, and he retired then. Maybe they used the same designs for a long time, but I thought they went out of business in the 1970s after the Vietnam war.

I know that all of Meyer's dies have been bought by "somebody" and supposedly all American air force wings from the Second World War made by them are in massive reproduction from the original Meyer dies.

Here are what I can tell, with the POST numbers--

3= probably Military Police. If those were gold colored they'd be for an American M.P. officer

8 = the shield is in the design of the flag of the Dominican Republic: white cross with red and blue opposite corners.

9 = Cap cockades in colors for Paraguay or Dominican Republic. Paraguay, I think.

14 = the flag on the lances is for Columbia, so 13 must be enlisted ranks and the enamel one for officers?

20 = Argentina (smiley face suns)

31 and 32 = Nicaragua

38 = Honduras, I think from the national colors blue over white over blue on the top of the shield.

WHAT they are, I do not know, just what countries they are. Some may be provincial police or from specific cities whose coats of arms I don't recognize.

What I see

19, 46, & 50 - Might just be Argentina's answer to ribbon bars, I have seen similar

11 - US Army Ordnance Corps - Branch insignia - Officer

18 - El Salvador cockade

30 - US - Maybe JROTC or ROTC, seen similar

eBay is sometimes aflood with similar insignia in pairs, and on sales cards. I cannot remember who the seller is, not a indiv

but a company

Hope it helps

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

the followings are from my country ( El Salvador ) armed forces:

#1 military police insignia for officers

#2 artillery advanced course badge

#8 rank stars for liutenant colonel ( they came in two sizes, this would be the smaller)

#9 war material insignia for officers

# 16 El Salvador cockade

#36 graduated of the course of arms & services for officers badge

# 38 rank insignia for liutenant

I hope this helps,

PS: exactly when meyer run out of bussines?? our army still received meyer insignia during the war against the communist guerrilla in the 80s, I have rank insignia of meyer that my father weared when he was promoted to colonel in 1989. I have rank insignia from that time marked as from the company newtel too. I just can think in two posibilities, one that our army had stocks of insignia from meyer or the US goverment had as they sent us a lot of military suply of every kind during the war.

Humberto

Edited by Humberto Corado

• 2 weeks later...

#30 is rank insignia for a Air Force Junior ROTC Cade Master Sergeant. It is probably outdated insignia because all of the example I could find had only 5 stripes, not six. I found only one old document on-line that showed this 6 stripe example.

#30 is rank insignia for a Air Force Junior ROTC Cade Master Sergeant. It is probably outdated insignia because all of the example I could find had only 5 stripes, not six. I found only one old document on-line that showed this 6 stripe example.

• 1 year later...

ok, this one seems to be Colombans, 2 spears with Colombian flag, even when ecuador and Colombian flags are almost the same I believe this 2 are Colombians because Ecuador is more usually depicted with the shield to be easily diferenced that the other one, for the spears I supuose they are for spearmen (lanceros in spanish) what I only know about them is that they are very good soldiers, gotta ask my work partner (he is colombian) to know more about it