News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Danziger Kreuz - Danzig Cross 1939

Here is another select award from my collection which I would like to share with fellow members for information and discussion. I have extensively researched this piece and present it as a genuine, period award in an original, period award case - a marriage that I arranged since they unfortuantely did not come together.

The case bears an interesting story of its' own. It came to me from an estate settlement through a friend in Germany. The award case was empty, except for a small death notice cut from a period (Nov. 1941) German newspaper. The notice was for SS-Rottenfuehrer Herbert Kanzler. While I have not been able to find corroborating evidence to this effect, it is quite possible that the case (and the missing medal that it once contained) had been awarded to SS-Rottenfuehrer Herbert Kanzler.

Rottenfuehrer Kanzler died on 26.09.1941 in Lushno in a Soviet/German offensive involving the German 2. Armee Korps, the northern flank of which was anchored at Lushno. On September 24th, under the control of SS-Obergruppenfuehrer Theodor Eicke, troops of the 3rd Panzer Division, Waffen-SS "Totenkopf" launched the offensive that drove the Russians out and led to Lushno being retaken on September 27th. It was here that Kanzler was killed-in-action.

Interesting is that in December, 1939, members of the SS-Heimwehr Danzig were integrated into the SS-"Totenkopf" Division. I would like to believe, but cannot yet prove, that Rottenfuehrer Kanzler was tied to all of this and did, indeed, receive the Danzig Cross, 2nd Class while with the SS-Heimwehr Danzig.

I will appreciate receiving any information or comments which can be offered.

Thanks,

John

Edited by John Burchell

• 10 years later...

Refreshing this thread with some additional information on a family member of the above-referenced SS-man.

Showing here the "Erkennungsmarke" once worn by Emil Kanzler - presumably father of Herbert Kanzler referenced in the small newspaper clipping from 1941 pictured above.

This ID tag was already broken into two pieces and looks to be of the type worn by German soldiers during WWII.  One can see that Emil Kanzler was born in Neudorf.Elbing in 1892.  He would have been 47 years old at the outbreak of WWII in 1939 and apparently served in Reserve Infantry Regiment 210 as a member of Machine-Gun Company 219.  He may also have served in the military during WWI, then being 22 years old in 1914.

I hope that members might find this additional information to be interesting, and would welcome any comments and feedback.

John

DSCN6319.JPG

DSCN6320.JPG