News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Badges of authority have been around as long ago as the ancient Sumerians (5000 years BC) - the English have certainly been using them for the past thousand years. By the 19th.C. the appearance of the tipstaff had become more uniform - but, still varied according to the wants of it's owner. The police came to use a standard design from the 1840's onwards and Inspectors and Superintendents wore a small leather case on their belts - this had a concealed spring in the base and when opened the tipstaff 'popped-up' ready to be taken out and show the bearer's authority. This one was for an Inspector in the City of Leeds Police and has his name,rank and the name of the Force. Very rarely do the cases remain with the tipstaff and certainly not often in this condition. They ceased to be used when Warrants and I.D.'s were introduced in the 1880's. I will be happy to put-on more examples if they are of interest - also, some early uniforms.

Mervyn Mitton

Hello Mervyn,

That is a very interesting post. I would have guessed that the tipstaff was carried on the end of a staff somewhat like a swagger stick. To have any piece of leather equipment in such good order and this old is amazing, I'm sure that these would be exposed to wear and tear considering they would be exposed. Here, as in other countries I'm sure, the first piece of equipment to "go" during a "contested" arrest is the forage cap with cap badge.

Thanks for sharing your items and information with us.

I think this section of the forum is quite ignored and I know there are other members who are collectors and former police officers so please keep posting.

Many thanks and regards

Brian

The Tipstaff is still reprensented on Senior British Police officers uniform. In The Metropolitan Police (London) from the rank of Commander and above part of the rank device worn on the shoulder is a pair of crossed tipstaffs in a laurel wreath.

Craig

Thankyou for your comments. You are quite correct in ranks and the use of tipstaves - also, Chief,Deputy and Asst. chief constables in the County forces also wear them. The only official 'tipstaff' to exist is stationed at the High Courts at the Strand in London - he actually still carries an early Victorian one. I also found out that in Australia, they have a number of officials known as Tipstaffs. The particular pattern I have shown here is about 7 inches long - it stands alone and was not mounted on anything - the officer would have held it in his right hand - arm extended, and announced his position and requirements. When transportation was still a way of populating the colonies, to resist arrest - when you had been touched by the staff - carried a further 7 years transportation.

I have always had a strange feeling when holding these old pieces - they are the history of law in the UK and without them the constable (or, other user) could not perform his duty. Swords and firearms were produced in their thousands - rarely are there more than one pattern of a tipstaff - or, decorated truncheon. I can show many more old items - just don't want to be a bore !

The other interesting thing is that the British don't easily give-up their traditions and I have found tipstaffs in Canada;S.Africa;Australia;India and Sri Lanka. The USA had Admiralty Courts and Maces - so there are - somewhere - the smaller tipstaffs carried by the officers' of the Court. NZ did not use them - at least I have never seen one.

Mervyn

Dear Robin

Thankyou for replying - I knew your name immediately, but associated it with PICA (Police Insignia Collectors Assoc.). I actually use some of your books to help with identification in the shop - so, I am most impressed. I cannot pretend to have a great knowledge of German collecting - we always keep some good pieces in the shop - but,I find the collectors know more than I do on this subject.

With the Police Acts of 1839 and 1856 many Forces have had their 150th. in recent years and I was pleased to see that they have taken their history more seriously and most have prepared and issued Force Histories to commemmorate the event. I have seen many of them and they add greatly to our knowledge - unfortunately, although policing affects all of our lives , it is the forgotten service. I think this is partly because our equipment is not glamorous and really hasn't changed much since 1829.

I thought you might like to see this constable's badge of office for Forfarshire ( where is it exactly?). Dates back to George 1V (1820-1830) and is cast in pewter - since it covered a County there was more than one required - so, they put a blob of solder on and impressed the constable's number. The badge would have been around his neck on a ribbon - cheaper than a tipstaff, but , it makes it rare.

Mervyn