News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A spiffing picture of an old Vet. @ 1915

At the local fair today I picked this up. photo taken with the Missus @ 1915-19 I reckon.

The medals grabbed me-Egypt with one bar, what I think is the IGS with two bars, an army LSGC,what I think is a QSA and a KSA (2 bars) and the Khedives' star.

Clearly this old man was brought back for some sort pf semi-military service (note cap badge) @ 1915.

Alas, if only the photographer had been @ 2 feet closer.

Edited by Ulsterman

Great photo - the cap badge looks rather like the pre Eifel Tower version of the Green Howards badge (or SA General Service, or 5th (Cathness) Bn Seaforth Highlanders - strangely enough for such headgear, the 5th Seafoths looks most similar).

As you say, if only the photographer had been sober.

I was thinking a couple of days ago that I must dig out & post a photo I have of a similar charachter but AOC, wearing a nice dsplay of Victorian etc medals, reverses showing.

• 4 months later...

Leigh is right with his second guess of South African Infantry, once it's downloaded and blown up. He's also right as regading the rank as pre-1915 single crowns worn on both lower cuffs was the rank of the infantry WOI "Sergeant Major". It wasn't until post-1915 that the rank of "Regimental Sergeant Major" was to be found in the infantry, as well as CSM and CQMS.

All very complicated, but modern army heads have to come off when dealing with the Army at the turn of the last century.

Edited by Graham Stewart

His medals are Egypt, East & West Africa, what appears to be an Army LS&GC (in the incorrect position), QSA, KSA and Khedive's Star. The E&W Africa is unusual for such a group as they were predominantly naval issues. His capbadge is that of SA Infy. He's most likely an ex-pat emigre who stayed on in the colonies after service in the Boer War.

Ulsterman,

Great photo even if it could have been clearer.

At least you can tell what the medals are, I've seen and owned much poorer quality photos.

This gentleman saw a great deal of history the days of the British Empire era.

Thanks for posting it.

Regards

Brian