News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2nd Landwehr Infantry Regiment (AKA LIR Konig Wilhelm II)

I recently acquired a Luger with machine gun company unit marks and "L.J.R.K.W.II.N.2.". I have been able to determine that this pistol served with the 2nd Landwehr Regiment, and that this regiment was renamed after the Kaiser in honor of their valor in battles with the Russians in July 1917 in the Smorgoni-Krevo sector. I have been obsessively attempting to get more regimental history with little luck. I am requesting any additional unit history from 1915 onwards, and I am especially interested in what specific actions led them to be honored by the Kaiser. It seems odd that such an honor would be bestowed on a Landwehr Regiment, especially one from a division considered "4th class" as described in Histories Of Two Hundred And Fifty- One Divisions Of The German Army Which Participated In The War (1914-1918). I am also very interested in any references to battles in the Smorgoni-Krevo sector. Here in the USA it is difficult to find info on the Eastern Front. Lastly any machine gun crew photos from this or other Landwehr regiments is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance and congrats on this great forum!

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have some interest in this unit as well as an insignia collector. As you may know, with the acknowledgement by the Kaiser, the regiment received his royal cypher for their shoulder straps. It was one of only a handful of wartime cypher changes/additions. The AKO ordering this cypher was decreed on July 29, 1917 and was published in the Armee-Verordnungsblatt (A.V.B.) on August 25, 1917 (Nr.800). The order mentions "brave conduct in the face of the enemy". Unfortunately, I have no further details at the moment, but I will see what I can find.

Regards,

Chip

As you probably know, Histories Of Two Hundred And Fifty- One Divisions Of The German Army Which Participated In The War (1914-1918) states:

"The division (meaning the 226th) occupied the Sector of Smorgoni-Krevo from January until August, 1917. In this sector it received the Russian attacks of July 2 and 23, which caused it very heavy losses, in consequence if which Emperor William II called himself commander of the 2nd Landwehr Regiment."

These were likely some of Russia's final battles in the Great War. The Smorgon region was in Russia at the time of these battles, ceded to Germany as part of Russia's peace treaty, part of independant Poland between the World Wars, part of the Soviet Union after World War II, and part of Belarus today. I have have seen it written Smorgon, Smorgoni, and Smorhon.

Any information or photos you can dig up would be greatly appreciated. I fear this may be a long term project! :banger:

Edited by Frink

• 4 years later...

I have recently become interested in this unit and battle as well (July 22-23, 1917). My understanding is that there were specific fortifications at Krevo (which is located south of Smorgon) and that the Russians attacked with massive artillery. The attack was somewhat diversionary relative to attacks further to the south (Galicia?). I think a lot of units occupied the lines in the area; 16th Landwehr Division was there in addition to 226th Division, but it was 2nd Landwehr Regiment that bore the brunt of the fighting and held out despite massive losses.

I agree with the original poster that it is tough to find info on this area of the war in the US (English writing on the subject).

Hello!

Here is the ordre of the AVB:

The regiment belonged from 25.11.16-24.4.18 to thew 5th Landwehr-Brigade (226.Inf.Div.)

The official name of the battle is: Abwehrschlacht bei Smorgon-Krewo (18.7.-25.7. and 19.7.-27.7.1917).

The german trenches were defended by Landwehrtroops. 22th july eight russian divisions attacked two german divisions at Smorgon. After they broke in on 5km width and 2km deep, german reserve troops stopped the attack and the german artillery shot the russians out of that area.

Here you can buy the regimental history on CD only for 5€:

http://www.military-books.de.vu/test/index.html

Choose left:
    1st world war > book sort by unit type > Infanterie > Landwehr Infanterie Regimenter > N° 1265

You will recieve the book on CD including cover, photographs, all attachments and maps

Edited by The Prussian

What a great Christmas gift that this thread has been brought back from the dead and and valuable new information added! The link to a source of unit histories is very appreciated and will be a great resource in the future. I have several unit marked firearms whose histories I would like to explore. It's a shame I don't speak German.

This regiment clearly took great pride in the honor of taking the Kaiser's name. As you may know, Imperial unit marks normally are very simple property marks stamped into the front of the pistol grips by unit armorers. The position and format of the numbering was set out in military guidelines. For example 164.R.1.21 signifies the 21st pistol of the 1st Company of the 164th infantry regiment. The requirement that equipment be so marked was lifted in November 1916 and is rarely seen after.

The Luger pistol that spurred my interest was marked in a non-standard format in a non-standard location as seen in the attached photos, and looks to me to be the work of a very enthusiastic unit armorer.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas to all!

That's a super marking! One wonders if it saw action in the battle that caused the Kaiser to give the distinction to the regiment and was therefore marked later or if it was a new issue that was marked after the re-naming of the regiment. What is the manufacture date of the piece?

Chip

A directive came out in 1915/16 about the halting of unit stamping but it was not followed. There was stamping being done up to late 1917 and into 1918, most on Erfurts, why Erfurts, got me. Unit stampings locations were not followed either, here is an example of a late unit marked Lugers and on the back strap.

1918 Erfurt: http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=26581

1918 Erfurt Signal Abteilung: http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=22933

1917 Erfurt, back strap unit marked: http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_217&products_id=29157

Only about 5% of all Lugers were unit marked for the whole of the war and before.

Weimar unit marked Lugers had a / within the unit designation regardless of the date of the Luger.

Edited by E Williams

Is it the same unit marking with just a different weapon number, or is it my exact pistol? Is the serial number visible?

I have been looking for a reasonably priced copy of this book for years! Would you mind scanning or photographing page 90 for me?

Is it the same unit marking with just a different weapon number, or is it my exact pistol? Is the serial number visible?

I have been looking for a reasonably priced copy of this book for years! Would you mind scanning or photographing page 90 for me?

My mistake, different company, same regiment, which proves the armorer/s were consistent with his/their markings. Jeff does not quote the ser#. What would be interesting to see if it was the same armorer by examining the markings either by Luger or photographs and to find out if both markings are both on the trigger guard also, since both Lugers are 1915 dated, Jeff might know. He doesn't say in his book. I'll go through the years later today and see if he has anymore listed under the other years.

DWM 1915 3.M.G.K.N.14. L.J.R.K.W.II.N.2. <two lines>

(Maschinengewehr-Kompagnie 3, Waffe Nr.14) (Landwehr Infantry-Regiment Kaiser Wilhelm II Nr. 2)

Jeff is a member here and he might be interested in having your info for his reference materials.

I can't scan it, my scanner went on the bum just before Christmas and I haven't replacement it yet.

Good luck finding a copy of Jeff's book...at a decent price. I was in the right place and the right time when offered the book. Hundreds of dollars when trying to buy one through any book retailer.

Do you have this book:

Handbuch Deutscher Waffenstempel auf Militar-und Diensthandwaffen 1871-2000 by Albrecht Wacker and Joachim Gortz?

All in German but with any knowledge of the language, you can get good info from it. Not cheap either but affordable. You can only get it out of Germany and through Amazon Germany.

Ed

What a great thread this is! My interest in this unit is based on an EK1 I recently acquired, so the information provided is most appreciated. Specifically, the Iron Cross First Class is engraved to a man by the name of Langendorf for an award related to the fighting at Krewo-Smorgon. It includes the date of August 2, 1917.

I will have try and get the regimental history.

Edited by Brian R

• 2 months later...

I have recently become interested in this unit and battle as well (July 22-23, 1917). My understanding is that there were specific fortifications at Krevo (which is located south of Smorgon) and that the Russians attacked with massive artillery. The attack was somewhat diversionary relative to attacks further to the south (Galicia?). I think a lot of units occupied the lines in the area; 16th Landwehr Division was there in addition to 226th Division, but it was 2nd Landwehr Regiment that bore the brunt of the fighting and held out despite massive losses.

I agree with the original poster that it is tough to find info on this area of the war in the US (English writing on the subject).

of Russian history : Came in 1917 . February revolution stirred up the troops . Do Smorgon , 5-10 km east , and in the White Zalesye that housed reserves held rallies and meetings . In June, Kerensky appeared here , calling for an offensive .July 19-23, was an attempt to break through the front portion of Smorgon - Krevo . Despite the considerable dominance of the troops and artillery - 16 infantry and two cavalry divisions , 800 guns and 13-day norm shells offensive failed.Not inspired infantry soldiers and participated in the attack female volunteer " death squad " under the command of Ensign Maria Botchkareva . They excelled at taking Novospasskogo forest 10 km south of Smorgon on the site of the 1st Siberian Army Corps.Discipline in the army rapidly fell. Despite strict orders to talk to Germans "only through bullets and bayonets ," fraternization cases open in the band advanced trenches took autumn pervasive. Prevailing in the army was the desire for peace .

• 1 year later...

I acquired this Militärpass awhile ago principally because of the Freikorps connection which is my main area of interest.

However, what's more interesting is that the recipient, Unteroffizier Theodor Heinrich Schultz was in Landwehr IR 2. and fought in the Battle of Smorgon and Krewo and all the other actions of 226th Inf. Division from 1916-1918. He served in occupation forces in Ukraine from June-Dec. 1918 and then was in Batl. 22 (Schutztruppe Bug) from Dec. 30, 1918 until he mustered out on February 26, 1919 just before Schutztruppe Bug was absorbed into Brigade Olita.

He was awarded the EKII, Black Wound Badge and the Bug Abzeichen der Schutztruppe Bug (Bug Stern).Schultz_cover.thumb.jpg.f6c42d4cef8a5552Schultz_Gefechte.thumb.jpg.67fb0e7b6253bSchultz_Gefechte_Ukraine.thumb.jpg.850afSchultz5.thumb.jpg.6c9508df8641166acfda4Schultz3cu1.thumb.jpg.a3bfea78644e45ac25

Schultz5.jpg

I acquired this Militärpass awhile ago principally because of the Freikorps connection which is my main area of interest.

However, what's more interesting is that the recipient, Unteroffizier Theodor Heinrich Schultz was in Landwehr IR 2. and fought in the Battle of Smorgon and Krewo and all the other actions of 226th Inf. Division from 1916-1918. He served in occupation forces in Ukraine from June-Dec. 1918 and then was in Batl. 22 (Schutztruppe Bug) from Dec. 30, 1918 until he mustered out on February 26, 1919 just before Schutztruppe Bug was absorbed into Brigade Olita.

He was awarded the EKII, Black Wound Badge and the Bug Abzeichen der Schutztruppe Bug (Bug Stern).

And even more interesting to me is that he was in a regiment that was granted the name "Landwehr Infanterie Regiment Kaiser Wilhelm II. Nr.2" and awarded the wear of the Kaiser's cypher on their shoulder straps as of 1917.

Chip