News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Badges For Some Scary People .... The RSM!

I have always thought that the British rank badge for a WO Class 1 and Regimental Sergeant Major is a very attractive item. While I do not yet have one of the Guard's "Big Badges" their smaller cousins are still very nice and here are a few I recently acquired.

First up we have a bullion full dress badge on red backing.

Next up we have the service dress uniform version for most infantry units with a scarlet border.

This is the version for the Royal Army Medical Corps with a cherry red border.

I believe this is a full dress version for the Royal Corps of Transport but am willing to be corrected.

And finally a rifle green badge. I am not sure if this is for the rifles or the Royal Irish, the shades are slightly different.

Enjoy :cheers:

• Replies 128
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul - interesting thread. We see the Guards ones you mention, from time to time - will let you know next time.

I think this one is for a Naval Chief Petty Officer. Darker background than the R.A.F. one and more colour lower down. Has an issue number on the reverse and was in a vacuum packed plastic envelope.

Paul - interesting thread. We see the Guards ones you mention, from time to time - will let you know next time.

I think this one is for a Naval Chief Petty Officer. Darker background than the R.A.F. one and more colour lower down. Has an issue number on the reverse and was in a vacuum packed plastic envelope.

Hi Mervyn,

Yes indeed, that is the RN version. I was about to post a picture of mine but it is not as nice as your example.

:cheers:

Corporal Major- Life Guards

Paul - I have a set of W.O's badges for Sth. Africa ready - but, won't post in case you want to keep this for British only - let me know ? If you want to open it up then I think you could make it a definitive ref. thread for Warrant Officers' badges around the World.

Corporal Major- Life Guards

Paul - I have a set of W.O's badges for Sth. Africa ready - but, won't post in case you want to keep this for British only - let me know ? If you want to open it up then I think you could make it a definitive ref. thread for Warrant Officers' badges around the World.

Let's open it up to RSM badges from Britian and the Commonwealth. I look forward to seeing what you have.

Paul - I hope these fit in with the good thread you have going. They are all for the South African Forces - with all the changes someone more up-to-date will have to tell us if they are still current.

The top one is a Warrant Office Class 1 in the Sth. African Medical Services. The smaller one for a W.O. 2.

And now for the mother of all rank badges ! I finally managed to get an original example of the "Big Badge" which is worn on the upper arm by Guards RSMs. This example is an obsolete pattern which was worn a few years ago. The Guards did not like it since the lion etc are in yellow so they had their own examples made, which are currently worn, where the lion etc is in beige. It is a nicer badge. Unfortunately the MOD have ordered yellow badges for the new F.A.D. uniforms so it will be interesting to see what happens with these. I suspect the Guards will go out and get their own in beige again. This is a whopping 16 cms x 13.5 cms in size !

Paul - now you need the bullion version for red tunic ?

I know, I am working on that at the moment. There are currently two versions of the red bullion version. The MOD provided piece has a horrible lion's face, he looks more like a grinning Cheshire Cat ! The Guards have contracted to buy their own version which is better made. Fingers crossed I will be able to get one of each in a while and share them with you.

Paul - a lovely example. Since you are a collector, you have obviously checked that it isn't from Pakistan ? Looks to be in new condition and the bullion is beautifully worked. Not sure of current prices - has to be in the region of £150 with provenance.

Congratulations. Mervyn. p.s. does this mean you are retiring from collecting now that you have them all ??