News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Family Military History....

• Replies 110
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thats it for the time being, I hope this hasn't bored too many of you! I'm more impressed by the line drawings than anything else.....Abbie was quite the artist apparently, and took every opportunity while overseas to record the "little things" that meant something to him at the time.

I'll try and get some more of this stuff scanned/photographed in the New Year when I get back to work. Again, sorry for the porr quality of the drawings, they are quite old and a bit smudged and dont come up too well ;)

cheers Jason

Edited by Jason

Hi Tony, no sorry! No SMLE bayonet at my place! Only got a butcher bayonet and a Turkish lance top Abbie brought back.

I'll get round to posting those up in the New Year once I recover from my holiday!

cheers Jason

Just a thought....can any of you guys help identify the 4 stripes on my great grandfathers sleeve in post #29? I know he served pre-war in the RAMC, I have a feeling these may be long service stripes as my mother has told me he was never wounded.

Any info would really help out!

cheers Jason

Jason,

They look like overseas stripes, good conduct stripes were larger (about the same size as rank stripes) and sewn to the same position on the left sleeve. Or am I getting them mixed up?

I think the overseas stripes were in red till about 1914 and then changed to blue. All this is from something I read a long time ago so I could be wrong but I think 1 stripe for each year spent overseas.

Someone help if I've got this wrong.

Tony

Edited by Tony

Thanks Tony - the OS stripes seem to make sense to me, he was over there for the duration! This has cleared up a question that has bugged me for years.

Also, did you notice the little Belgian boy in the photo is wearing Reg's 1914 star ribbon bar??!! Oh yes, just found out also my dear Mum has some patriotic silk hankies he sent home, if I can sweet talk her during Christmas lunch I'll try and get hold of them for photographic purposes!

cheers Jason

• 1 month later...

Here's the latest addition courtesy of the Department of Veteran's Affairs. A little table medal for the 60th anniversary of the end of WW2. This had to be applied for by the ex-member or their nearest living relative, in this case, my mother.

First up the top of the presentation case:

Last one from France....a bit sad this one. My Grandmother's cousin from Canada, even she couldnt remember his name. Anyway, he was killed in action on Armistice Day.

Jason. Superb mate. Now this photo has picked my curiosity. If he was Canadian and was KIA on the 11th of November 1918, this could have been at the action in Mons? If I get the list of names of the KIAs in mons, would the name ring a bell to you?

Gday Danny, I've checked the picture and (of course) I didn't look on the back....my grandmother had written the following....

"Sidney - I think. Canadian cousin. His mother is related to the Johnson's or Thomas's. He was killed on Armistice Day"

The Johnson's and Thomas's were my grandmother's mother's relatives.....hoo boy we're going back in time now!

Maybe this'll help find out where he was killed?

cheers Jason

And some more stuff from Borneo - this is some of the Japanese invasion money my Grandfather didn't have stolen in Sydney....!! I've got a box full of this stuff.......

Edited by Jason