News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach General Honor Decoration with Clasp and Swords

Hi everyone!

I happened upon this Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach General Honor Decoration with Clasp and Swords, and was a little concerned with it upon further review.

1. I find it interesting that even though it has Clasp and Swords, they were not joined together on the bar as one.

2. The Clasp seems to have been manufactured without the ring to attach to the medal.

3. The hilt of the Swords has a different appearance than other medals I have seen.

What do you all think? Could the recipient have received the Clasp and Swords later on during the war, and then combined them together on this mount? Did they manufacture Clasps without the ring to attach the medal to? Are there variations in the Sword hilts? Any reason why the Swords are mounted upside-down?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Best regards,

Jason

The sword bar looks OK to me, other than being mounted upside down. The loop may have been removed when it was mounted on the bar. This style of hilt is usually seen on silver (not silvered) examples. A different style hilt is often seen on later plated zinc versions. If the medal is silver, it should be marked on the rim near the suspension.

Edited by Beau Newman

Hi everyone!

I happened upon this Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach General Honor Decoration with Clasp and Swords, and was a little concerned with it upon further review.

1. I find it interesting that even though it has Clasp and Swords, they were not joined together on the bar as one.

2. The Clasp seems to have been manufactured without the ring to attach to the medal.

3. The hilt of the Swords has a different appearance than other medals I have seen.

What do you all think? Could the recipient have received the Clasp and Swords later on during the war, and then combined them together on this mount? Did they manufacture Clasps without the ring to attach the medal to? Are there variations in the Sword hilts? Any reason why the Swords are mounted upside-down?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Best regards,

Jason

Guest Rick Research

I'm rather surprised to see the silver class (usually awarded to NCO ranks from Unteroffizier to Vizefeldwebel and equivalents) alone with no EK2. I don't have the statutes, so don't know if that was possible during the war or not.

The Ernestine House Order Medals, for instance, required prior possession of the EK2.

All awards of the Weimar General Decoration Medals in Gold and Silver with Swords for the World War were published in 2008.

:catjava:

• 7 years later...

Gentlemen,

I am going to bring this thread back to life to see if the questions asked above, but not answered yet, can be answered now.  I have just purchased a three medal bar with an EKII 1914, a Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach General Honor Decoration with Clasp and Swords, and a Hindenburg Cross.

I would very much interested in finding out where the total list of those who received the General Decorstion can be found/purchased.

Regards,

Gordon

n_345_1.jpg

n_347_2.jpg