News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

When the Metropolitan Police first marched out from New Scotland Yard in 1829 , they were the forerunners in many different aspects of Policing. Today, we take the organisation and the discipline for granted - however, things were far different to begin with.

Apart from the Bow Street Horse Patrol - who were a small unit - they were the first to wear a regular uniform. Also, until 1839, they were on their own. An Act of Parliament in that year allowed Boroughs and Towns to appoint a Watch Committee and set-up their own Forces - but, modelled on the Met.. This was known as the Permissive Act - it was not until 1856 that the Rural Police Act - known as the Obligitory Act - was passed that all areas had to establish a proper Force.

The very rare frock coat I show here was for - probably - the Chief Constable of the West Riding Constabulary. This was set-up in October 1856 and had an establishment of 464. The first Chief Constable was a Colonel Cobbe and it is entirely possible that he was still the CC in 1862. I probably bought this frock coat some 40 years ago and I don't recall all of the details. However, the date was on a piece of paper I had put in a pocket - so, it must be based on some evidence. I also illustrate this uniform in my book - with this date. My note also says he was based in Wakefield.

Frock coats were still being worn at that date - it was during the 1860's that there was a gradual change over to the German tunic. The amount of strapping is quite impressive and I have always liked the the little tassels at the back. The top hat is also from this period - County Forces had a somewhat smaller version then for the Metropolitan Police. He may have worn a helmet - being ex-military - however, for the purposes of this short article it fits.

• 2 years later...

Seems to be a bit of confusion here. The 1839 permissive Act only applied to counties. The 1835 Municipal Corporations Act required municipal boroughs to set up a Watch Committee and "appoint a sufficient number of constables". There was no Act requiring such borough police forces to model themselves on the Metropolitan Police then or later. The fact that a few did so model themselves is another matter. In fact, many boroughs and towns had established their own police forces years before this via their own private local Acts (of Parliament).

Another myth I've seen repeated many times says the Wiltshire Constabulary was the first county force established in England. Maybe it was the first one established under the 1839 permissive Act (debatable). However, the Cheshire Constabulary was the first one by a long shot; being established under a private local Act of Parliament in 1829.

When the Metropolitan Police first marched out from New Scotland Yard in 1829 , they were the forerunners in many different aspects of Policing. Today, we take the organisation and the discipline for granted - however, things were far different to begin with.

Apart from the Bow Street Horse Patrol - who were a small unit - they were the first to wear a regular uniform. Also, until 1839, they were on their own. An Act of Parliament in that year allowed Boroughs and Towns to appoint a Watch Committee and set-up their own Forces - but, modelled on the Met.. This was known as the Permissive Act - it was not until 1856 that the Rural Police Act - known as the Obligitory Act - was passed that all areas had to establish a proper Force.

The very rare frock coat I show here was for - probably - the Chief Constable of the West Riding Constabulary. This was set-up in October 1856 and had an establishment of 464. The first Chief Constable was a Colonel Cobbe and it is entirely possible that he was still the CC in 1862. I probably bought this frock coat some 40 years ago and I don't recall all of the details. However, the date was on a piece of paper I had put in a pocket - so, it must be based on some evidence. I also illustrate this uniform in my book - with this date. My note also says he was based in Wakefield.

Frock coats were still being worn at that date - it was during the 1860's that there was a gradual change over to the German tunic. The amount of strapping is quite impressive and I have always liked the the little tassels at the back. The top hat is also from this period - County Forces had a somewhat smaller version then for the Metropolitan Police. He may have worn a helmet - being ex-military - however, for the purposes of this short article it fits.

attachicon.gif010.JPG

Hi - Ulsterman. It is a lovely old coat - something very dignified in it's appearance. Programmes in SA tend to be shown later then

elsewhere - I will keep an eye out for this. We have a member who is a police researcher - I must ask him if he had anything to

do with the series.

Peter - welcome to GMIC. The 189 Act was also responsible for the Cityof London Force. Mervyn

Mervyn,

Thanks for the welcome.

Sorry to be contrary, but the 1839 (see 2 and 3 Vict. Cap. 93) - the so called permissive Act - most certainly did not establish the City of London Police. That Act allowed (but did not require) counties in England and Wales to establish county police forces. The 1839 Act relating to the City of London Police was a completely separate and distinct piece of legislation sponsored by the Corporation of London (see 2 and 3 Vict. Cap. 94). Peter

Peter - I should have made it clear that it it was the shared date - 1839.

We are pleased to see your contributions - you have obviously made a study of the subject. Are you British origin or, American ? We have

a lot of members on this Forum from the US - I think the interest is a two way one, I have always had an interest in early US police. I had

a retired Sheriff from a big area near Atlanta in the shop recently - he has promised an article on his experiences. Do tell us a little about

yourself - do you actually collect Police items - or, it the interest ?

Best wishes Mervyn

Mervyn,

Thanks for asking. I'm a bit of a "Heinz 57" really. British father and German-Russian mother; born in what was the Gold Coast Colony (now Ghana, West Africa). Have lived in many places. Was a police officer in Africa, England and USA (now retired).

Have a large police insignia collection from the UK. Also smaller collections from the old Colonies and Dominions. My USA police collection is mainly based only on personal experience. In addition, many books and original British Parliamentary Reports, Acts and so on. Many would describe my collecting and interest in British policing history as bordering on obsession (for one, just ask my wife)!

Hope it is okay to mention I have written a very large and extensively illustrated book entitled "Police Reference: England and Wales (plus the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man)" (ISBN 978-0-9858978-0-2). For those who may be interested, there is an informational website about it at https://sites.google.com/site/policereference/

Not an admirer of self promotion, but mention of my book seems in context here.

Best wishes, Peter.

Peter - thankyou for giving us this info. - a little knowledge about other members is always a good thing.

Many of our members have had books published on their interests and it will be good to learn a little more about yours. If any members

have read-it they will be very welcome to write a review in the new books section. However, you will also be welcome to give an outline

and sources that can supply a copy for prospective buyers. Mervyn

Mervyn,

There have been very complimentary reviews of my book (Police Reference: England and Wales (plus the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man)) in the UK magazines of the Police History Society (by Martin Stallion) and the Police Memorabilia Collectors Club (PMCC) - see PMCC issue 203 of 7 September 2012. Interested members can see an overview of the book at the informational website I previously mentioned.

Since then I have also recently released a much cheaper Amazon Kindle edition ('Police and Constabulary of England and Wales (eighteenth century to 2013)') - see the above website or Amazon for details. The Kindle version (due to the limitations of the present Kindle format) is not illustrated - whereas the full version has around 7,130 pictures.

As a matter of personal interest, can you share some information about your personal background and interests? You being in South Africa and my own African background does tend to get my attention.

Peter.

Peter - Brian and I can see you are going to become a very welcome member - your knowledge and background will be very helpful.

I will be very happy to drop you an IM - however, a lot of my background in on my personal page. (click on my name)

With regard to further details on your book - do a self review on our book review section - somewhere below the Lounge. Then

you can go into details about pricing and ordering. Also, show a pages for format etc.. Mervyn

Mervyn,

Thanks again for your reply. Had a look at your shop website and your profile. All very interesting.

From what I read about SA (mainly the "Economist" as, in my opinion, USA news outlets generally seem to ignore substantive issues and concentrate on trivia and drivel) it seems a bit of an iffy place these days. There again, you appear happy there. Maybe I'm reading the wrong things - or coming to the wrong conclusions.

Sent an email to your Cathy shop enquiring about QVC crowned 'Johannesburg Police' or/and 'Pretoria Police' brunswick star helmet plates. Hard to find, but patience is the best policy with collecting.

Was not able to work how to get to "the Lounge". Can you give me a few pointers?

Peter.

PS. Am going out of town (with no Internet access) later this week for at least 5 days.