News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Silesian Eagle project

Hello Everyone,

A few monmths ago I posted a medal group that had some errors as far as the medals not matching up with the ribbons. Thanks to the membership's direction I made the corrections and was left with a Silesian Eagle 2nd class and a Legion of Honour with wreath and sword device but no ribbons. I ordered these ribbons and a few others I needed and when they arrived I put them all aside until I had more time to put then on their corresponding medals.

Today I opened the plastic envelope and noticed that the ribbon for the Silesian Eagle was the wrong size. The supplier had sent me the smaller sized ribbon. I was in the mood to get some of this back log caught up so I decided I would attempt to recreate the German style of mount often seen on the medal groups. It took a little figuring out and some time but I came up with what I think is a good facsimile. I looked that the groups in my collection and at the top of the mount I took the left hand ribbon and placed it over the right hand piece. I have seen groups with this reversed, so I guess it is a matter of taste, though I would have thought there would have been some convention regulating this. I used the same red felt backing that I use on my British and post 47 Indian groups. Perhaps I should have used blue or gray but I'm not trying to pass this off as an original mount.

It's a long way from professional but I am happy enough and may try a few more with the idea of perfecting this style of mount.

My wife said I should post it on one of her sewing forums...oh ha ha...droll very droll. :sleep:

Regards

Brian

Here's a view of the ribbon under the Eagle. It looks similar to the ones I have in my collection though I would do a couple of things differently if I were to attempt this again. After all it is my first go at this style of mount.

Edited by Brian Wolfe

This is the back. I may change this in time as I do like the colour to be the same as the original. There will never be a problem with these being confused with the real thing even if I got that good because I use glue on the backing material and nylon thread. Two dead give aways no matter how good they may get.

Regards

Brian

Hi Irishgunner,

I agree and will be changing it.

To be honest I didn't like it even a few mimutes after I used the red.

Regards

Brian

Then dark it is. :cool:

I checked out my Imperial groups and I have some with black broadcloth backing.

Since I had some on hand I went with that, yes, I will trim the threads a bit. ;)

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

• 1 year later...

Good morning gentlemen, I would like some comments on this white enamel eagle, these are scans, I will post actual photographs when all 36 frames are used up. why is it white? why is the eagle facing Dexter? have yet to see another one on any threads I have found.

best regards

Pikestaff

Um, cannot access 'my pictures' through the media section! anyway, any help without actualy seeing the 1st class medal?