Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Brian

1st Foot Guards Shako Plate c 1822

This is rather an unusual 1st foot or Grenadier officers shako plate of c1822 in as much as the colours are reversed. Normal colour pattern would be that the a gold coat of arms mounted on a silver 8 pointed star.

Apparently this reversal of colours has occured a few times and there is also one with reversed colours in the Grenadier museum which belonged to the Duke of Wellington.

Rather a pity someone decided to change it into a pinned brooch cutting the original posts to the rear.

post-11313-031217000 1294418102_thumb.jp

post-11313-018249800 1294418115_thumb.jp

Brian - this is a lovely example - and personally, it wouldn't worry me that it had a brooch conversion. I am a little curious about the silver coat of arms - the look in the photo is almost a pewter colour. This would be unusual as I would expect silver - perhaps it it the mellowing of the silver with age ? What do you think ?

ps. Sorry to query your 1822 date - I would have thought more the Crown shape for William 4th.(1830-37) - certainly a little more angular then most Georgian ones. I'm not being 'picky' - just interested regarding a lovely old item ?

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Brian - this is a lovely example - and personally, it wouldn't worry me that it had a brooch conversion. I am a little curious about the silver coat of arms - the look in the photo is almost a pewter colour. This would be unusual as I would expect silver - perhaps it it the mellowing of the silver with age ? What do you think ?

ps. Sorry to query your 1822 date - I would have thought more the Crown shape for William 4th.(1830-37) - certainly a little more angular then most Georgian ones. I'm not being 'picky' - just interested regarding a lovely old item ?

Hi Mervyn, Thanks for your posting. You had me a little worried at the beginning when you said it looked a pewter colour..... Immediately thought is it a fake? I then took the plate apart and found that it is a silver ( just tarnished a little ), so I buffed it up a little and it looks great. Mind you I don't know if I should be doing that !

I have checked in in Kiplings book on headress badges, but stangely no meantion is made of the 1st foot. It starts with the 2nd foot. I then looked at my copy of the British Military Shako1800-97 by Bryan Fosten and found the plate on page 26. It was only issued between 1822-29. So I guess that the crown could not be William 4th.

Thanks for your comments

Brian

Hi - Brian. I think most Forum members don't like to see medals polished - however, the badge is different and must look very good with the sheen of the silver against the gilt. Perhaps you could show another picture ? Your dating is obviously accurate, but you can see the start of the more elongated sides that became very prominent for Wm.4th. and Queen Victoria. You look to have a good collection and we must hope you will continue posting. Mervyn