News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1798 Battle of the Nile privately struck Commemorative medal ?

Hello

This 38mm bronze medal obviously refers to Nelson's victory over the French fleet (The Nile).

I wonder who the manufacturer was and how it compares with Boulton's later medal for Trafalgar?. What do to-days's medal collectors think of it ?

Every bit of information will be gratefully received.

Veteran

Hello

This 38mm bronze medal obviously refers to Nelson's victory over the French fleet (The Nile).

I wonder who the manufacturer was and how it compares with Boulton's later medal for Trafalgar?. What do to-days's medal collectors think of it ?

Every bit of information will be gratefully received.

Veteran

Alas, although listed in Browns fine work, British Historical medals, Volume 1, the maker of this medal is unknown. It is also known in white metal and less frequently in silver and bronze-gilt. Collectors of Nelsonia rather than those of us with a phalaristic bent would consider the commemorative medals a relevant part of their collection, especially as there were contemporary productions. There were two varieties of this medal in the Suckling collection. M&E 3/7/08 (222 and 223). While the demand for Nelson material is not what it was just prior to the 2005 anniversary the medal still should be worth in the region of 150 euros.

All the best,

Paul

Hello Paul

Thanks again for your helpful comments. You confirm my first impression that this was different from the Boulton type of medal. It will have to find its way to a nice home in Britain.

Best regards

Paul

Good striking. I'm not sure if the 'action' is the blowing up of L'Orient or, a general action. Paul, what do you think ?

Mervyn

One cannot be certain as to the attribution of the ships so I think it is a case of the artist trying to catch the essence of Naval combat.

Paul,

It was lovely to see you at the O.M.R.S. One day, if I am ever allowed to retire, I will be able to go round the fair in leisure. Still I picked up a Mutiny Medal, clasp Central India to a native farrier.

Best wishes,

Paul

Alexander Davison, Nelson's prize agent, distributed a medal for the Battle of the Nile which was usually worn on a blue ribbon (but of course quite unofficial)... and not as spectacular! It was made by Matthew Boulton,

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2011/post-1530-0-24731800-1319541217.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2011/post-1530-0-08955100-1319541252.jpg

It came in several varieties, this is a gold one as awarded to Captains, there was a silver one for other officers, a copper-gilt one for petty officers and a bronzed-copper version for seamen and marines.

Examples of the latter two featured in Morton & Eden's auction of the collection of the American Numismatical Society (Part 1).

Yes, this is a Davidson Nile Medal. A very nice find!

It is interesting to try and establish the way in which these early awards were regarded - certainly not in the same way as campaign medals today. Legend has it that the Boulton's Trafalgar medal, awarded in base medal to ordinary seamen, was often nailed to the mainmast of the ship and pried off and taken away when the wearer tansferred to another ship. There is also, I believe, one account of the sailors receiving their medals and, on establishing that they were not precious metal and therefore unsaleable, tossing them over the side! "If you can't drink it, screw it or sell it, f**k it." I wonder how many of Mr. Davidson's gifts received the same cavalier treatment. How times have changed!

Peter