News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with M.B.E.

Hi!

Together with the Statutes of the Order Of The British Empire I've got some letters of the "Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood" to Mr. John Henry Hurst MBE.

To get more information about him I've checked the London Gazette for him, but found only John Hurst, who got the OBE in 1964, but no former entry about recieving the MBE, and I'm not shure be the same man I'm searching... BAD.

So: is there any other chance to get some more info in the net about the MBE's end of the 1950s? Does anyone of you have some other internet sources or any other help?

Thanks for help!!

regards

westfale

Edited by westfale

• 2 months later...

Hi.

Have a look at the following which may help.

Most Excellent Order of the British Empire

(contd.)

To be Ordinary Members of the Civil Division

of the said Most Excellent Order (contd.

SUPPLEMENT TQ THE. LONDON GAZETTE, 12TH JUNE 1965 5487

John Henry HURST, Esq. For political and public

services in Derbyshire

Regards

• 1 month later...

Hi at47,

thanks for your help - I can't use my computer for a while due to a broken hand (very bad and inoperable in many things!), so I can't answer directly, but today...

I have had a search in the gazette, but I did'nt find him, but now - great help, thanks again!!

regards from germany

westfale

p.s.: I've attached some of the according docs here for your interest!

Edited by westfale

One would think that they would post a master list of award recipients somewhere on line. I spent nearly 3 hours hunting for a list but came up with nothing. I went to the English Access to Archives site and spent an hour searching there. I found a lovely article about a John Henry Hurst being called a cuckold back in the 18th century though. lol

My distant cousin, Percy Thrower also received an M.B.E. for being a gardener. Rather interesting fellow.

My distant cousin, Percy Thrower also received an M.B.E. for being a gardener. Rather interesting fellow.

Related to the great Percy Thrower, fantastic. The originator of televison gardening programmes with I believe it was called "Gardening Club", in the days when you watched it on a crackling small black and white set and there were only two channels, I can even remember the tune. I know he had a later comeback with the Blue Peter Garden which some yobs went and vandalised. Forget your Charlie Dimmock's, Aaln Titchmarshes and all your new television gardening buffs, Percy was the one and only, a giant amongst later pygmies.

One would think that they would post a master list of award recipients somewhere on line. I spent nearly 3 hours hunting for a list but came up with nothing. I went to the English Access to Archives site and spent an hour searching there. I found a lovely article about a John Henry Hurst being called a cuckold back in the 18th century though. lol

Amazing to read about your distant cousin and his further job on tv!!

It's astonishing how tricky it is to find such a list or some details about members of the order - theres some quite interesting literature about the decoration, but a resource for all the people who get the order... and the online search of the gazette seems to be also tricky,because I haven't found mr. hurst, although he is still there, as you show me!

About some of the old german decorations and the fellows who got them you find ood resources in the net, but here :(

regards

westfale

Related to the great Percy Thrower, fantastic. The originator of televison gardening programmes with I believe it was called "Gardening Club", in the days when you watched it on a crackling small black and white set and there were only two channels, I can even remember the tune. I know he had a later comeback with the Blue Peter Garden which some yobs went and vandalised. Forget your Charlie Dimmock's, Aaln Titchmarshes and all your new television gardening buffs, Percy was the one and only, a giant amongst later pygmies.

My maiden name is Thrower. I found out I was related to him when I joined a British Genealogy forum asking for help and posted an intro with a photo of myself and my dog. Apparently an American Thrower who was co-owner of a landscaping company and went every where with her black dog (APBT service dog) was just too much of a coincidence. When the ladies found out I designed gardens and planted them and had won awards, that was all she wrote. (Percy went everywhere with his black lab.) One was friends with the Thrower family in Schropshire and helped me find the records I was looking for.

My ex-husband used to get upset when I appropriated areas of his sacred grass for yet another garden. I told him it was hereditary so he might as well get over it.

Amazing to read about your distant cousin and his further job on tv!!

It's astonishing how tricky it is to find such a list or some details about members of the order - theres some quite interesting literature about the decoration, but a resource for all the people who get the order... and the online search of the gazette seems to be also tricky,because I haven't found mr. hurst, although he is still there, as you show me!

About some of the old german decorations and the fellows who got them you find ood resources in the net, but here :(

regards

westfale

I took the liberty of emailing the kind lady who helped me with my English research to see if she could shed some light on tracking down who has received the M.B.E. She is a retired woman who loves research so I ply her with yearly packages of custom dog collars and harnesses that I've made for her dog, so she is happy to help me research English records. :)