News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RAF Long Service Medal for Officers - WWII

Can anyone educate me about what medal an RAF officer is entitled to when it comes to long service starting in 1940?

What if he was a Chaplain Squadron Leader in the RAF Reserve?

Many thanks,

Greg.

An RAFVR officer could have qualified for the Air Effiency Award (established in 1942) for 10 years' service. In 1947, officers became eligible for the RAF LSGC if they had served at least 12 years in the ranks before commissioning.

Thank you, kind sir. I had discovered the Air Efficiency Award but it seemed passing strange that it is called an "Efficiency" award with no mention of Long Service or Good Conduct in it's name.

Greg.

Thanks, Paul. But I only have a photo, a first name and some of his medals. The (practically unreadable) name on the medal box appears to be wrong. The Chaplaincy office at the RAF have supplied me with a list of all RAF Chaplains during the war with a first or second name of Charles but that is as far as I can get. None of them match the other info I have. Some mysteries will just have to stay mysteries, I suppose.

Greg.