News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting WW1 VIC medal document

fukuoka

However, let us look closely. First, the date: Taisho 3 [1914] November 6! Before this medal was established. The hand-inscribed parts are the numerals and also the final kanji meaning 'day.'

Edited by fukuoka

Then I looked at the signatures and found that the Decorations Bureau president was not Kodama Hideo, as on all the other VIC documents (dated Taisho 8 and 9). The name was Ogimachi Sanemasa. He served twice in this position, once from February 1909 to Sept 1918, and then again from Dec 1921 to June 1923. (see my newsletter issue 11 for a full list!)

So he was in this office in 1913, but still the fact that this medal wasn't even established yet casts doubt on the date.

What can be the answer? My guess is that the inscribed meant to write the date as Taisho 13 (forgetting the kanji for 10). This would be 1921, still an unusual date for getting the medal but not unthinkable.

Finally, if this is indeed a later document, they may have had to redesign it. The reason I say this is because of the medal design drawing at the bottom. The figure is a bit thicker, fatter than that on the T8-9 docs. Anyway, an interesting example. Any other comments or ideas?

Edited by fukuoka

What can be the answer? My guess is that the inscribed meant to write the date as Taisho 13 (forgetting the kanji for 10). This would be 1921, still an unusual date for getting the medal but not unthinkable.

Completely agree!

P.S. Your posting is still too fast for me Rich :lol: