News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Republic of Korea (South Korea) Martyred Youth Medal

heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,

This is a medal I own since long time. I just got an accurate translation and explanation of the context of this medal recently (thanks Dave).

The obverse reads : "Martyred Youth Medal"

The reverse reads : "Comrades who lost their life for the Nation through Youth Movement" and the date 11 October 1963. On bottom reverse : "Patriotic Youth Association"

It is believed that the Youth Movement was probably opposed to Park Chung Hee's Military Coup and the students who dies where those who demonstrated against the third republic of Korea.

Again, thanks Dave for the translation.

Maybe Don would add some comment, he's most welcome.

Emmanuel

• 9 years later...

Sorry, I'm a little to the party. This is one of those medals that has been driving me crazy for more than twenty years. I am now retired and have the time to do better and more thorough research. I have also learned a thing or two about the nuances in dealing with the internet in Korean.

The  “Patriotic Youth Association” is a youth association, and it is a somewhat accurate translation of 청우회.  If you plug 청우회 into google, you will get a ton of youth organizations, none of which, as far as I can determine, are connected to the medal. The actual name on the medal is “Cheong Woo Hoe” 청우회 (晴雨會). This translates as Rain (or) Shine Association. Meant to be used in a manner similar to the U.S. Post Office unofficial motto, “Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds”. The association was made up of former members of numerous patriotic youth organizations that existed before and during the Korean War. Its purpose was to remember and commemorate the history of the anti-communist struggle and those 17,274 youths who had perished in that struggle. In 1969, they erected a memorial monument on Namsan (South Mountain) in Seoul. The date that is on the medal, Oct. 11, 1963, is the date on which the “Cheong Woo Hoe” was founded. 

You can see more information on this medal on my Koreanmedals.com website, under Republic of Korea/Non-governmental Medals.

Sorry I couldn't make the party earlier.

Don

BTW, I forgot to mention, Park Chung Hee donated money to create the Memorial Monument on Namsan. And, I am speculating, that since most of Namsan is protected government property, he probably helped to clear a few hurdles along the way.