News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Epaulette strap design of British army 1822-1855

Hello,
    On several dress regulations (1822,1826,1831,1834 and 1846) for the officers, it was mentioned either regimental pattern or some kind of embroidery. But no detail description had given. Does anyone have any information regarding epaulette strap design of British army in 1822-1855 please? I am looking for books or any weblinks that contains the pictorial view of the epaulettes of British regimental officers.
    Cheers
    Shams

Shams

Sorry you've had no response to date. I'd help if I could! :( Unfortunately, given the idiosyncrasies of the regiments of the British Army, there may be a number of variations and some were undoubtedly known only to the regimental tailors and the men who wore them. Your best bet for the latter part of the period are contemporary photos, with paintings and other illustrations for the earlier decades.

I see you've already checked the Victorian Wars web site. Afraid I haven't any immediate suggestions other than above, but I'll think on it. If there is one or a few regiments, consider contacting regimental museums. Most are very happy to have people asking intelligent questions, though given typical staffing answers aren't always swift!

Peter

The Society for Army Historical Research produced two special publications on eppaulettes back in the 60's. One for officers (No 6 ?) and one on O/R's (no 7?)

The officer's book has a series on the evolution and progression of designs and patterns with numerous references to sources, though few illustrations.

Herberts pattern books, (about 5 or 6 volumes) in NAM describe various regiments, their eppaulette patterns and lace though unfortunately has few surviving tracings.

• 2 weeks later...