News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RN DSM miniature group spanning 40 plus years

Good day,

I recently picked up this interesting set of eleven miniatures and just wondering how plausible this set could be.

Distinguished Service Medal, G.VI.R
    1914-15 Star
    BWM
    VM
    1939-45 Star
    Atlantic Star with F&G Clasp
    Pacific Star with Burma Clasp
    Defence Medal
    War Medal
    NGSM, E.II.R. with Cyprus Clasp
    RN LS&GC, G.VI.R 1st Type
    It seems that the recipient would definitely have had either broken service or some bad conduct perhaps? A G.V.R. LS&GC with Bar would be appropriate if continuous service yet this set could still be possible I suppose. The campaign star combo with both clasps seems not too common I would think as well. Any opinions would be appreciated.
    Jeff

The more I look at it up close though the less I think it is as contemporary as sold - new felt backing wrapped in cardboard, everything glued, new looking ribbons and cheaper plated shine to the campaign stars, Naval GSM, and LS&GC...DSM and WW1 trio look authentic on orginal ribbons. I don't know much about minis but it doesn't seem that the veteran would have worn them like this :(

Technically the group is possible he could have been a boy sailor for the 1914-15 Star and therefore in his mid 50's for the NGS Cyprus. The GVI LSGC is quite possible as he may have been discharged following the Great War and rejoined in 1939-40 thus being entitled if he stayed on to an LSGC.

However the points you have made and the illustrations suggest that it may be an E-bay special, made up from individual miniatures.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

Just for fun I took a look at this interesting set again and thought I'd give it a go trying to narrow it down or at least see if it was indeed plausible. I am quite surprised in what I've found so far..

The NGSM with Cyprus clasp is certainly the odd medal of the group but it made me think Royal Marines...so back to the London Gazette to find RM DSM recipients - not many in there so far but after a considerable amount of searching I came to a Po.17778 Marine (Acting Sergeant) Alfred Frederick Charlton, RM,

Pre-Oct 1925 Service Number, so far so good..now to the National Archives

Born 1896, Enlisted 9th Sept 1914 - entitled to 1914-15 Star, BWM, Victory

Remained in the RM, received LS&GC 1929..too bad there -I was initially excited as the RM Medal Roll 1914-19 indicated he was discharged to civilian life and a newspaper article in 1943 reported he had served only 21 years up to that point indicating he rejoined later and making the GVIR fit - but the NA has his service details right up to WW2 and details continuous service between Wars- so GVIR LS&GC doesn't fit unfortunately however still plausible for other servicemen at the time..

Then for the DSM I found LG 18 Dec 1942..

"For courage and determination while serving in defensively equipped merchant ships [DEMS]"...seems quite plausible...but doesn't indicate where it was awarded..

After some internet searching, a website quoting a book called "In Peril on the Sea" by David Masters indicates Charlton received his DSM while serving aboard the SS Anglo Canadian which was attacked by Japanese aircraft in the Bay of Bengal Apr 1942 (Burma Clasp - ship movement list doesn't appear to show Anglo Canadian in the Pacific Star qualifying areas prior..)

An incredible story where the ship was under nearly constant dive bomb and torpedo attack, eventually getting struck with a bomb in the magazine, setting a fire which many men went to fight, while the gunners fended off the airplanes. After the battle and the fire was put out the Captain discovered the bomb in the ship had not exploded and sent for a disposal officer who took too long to remove the ordance so the Capt and Chief Officer lifted it off the ship themselves at any time it could have detonated!

Capt and Chief Officer received OBE/MBE (And Lloyds Medal for Bravery at Sea)- seems like a GM or possible GC would have been more appropriate, Charlton and a Seaman Gunlayer the DSM, and two other BEMs/Commendations...

The Anglo Canadian was in the Bay of Bengal sometime in early 1942 (Burma Clasp) departing Vizagatapam for Baltimore via Capetown and Acension. Anglo Canadian sunk by U-153 in central Atlantic, all but one of the crew survived...not sure if he was wounded or not but would have qualifed for the Atlantic Star right then or perhaps continued in the Atlantic on another ship...That is as far as I have gotten so far.. 

Qualification for the Defence Medal and F&G Clasp could easily fit into his war service..

His service record is annotated with his discharge in Sept 1945 and death info for 1962 so as for the NGSM it still seems odd - in 1955 he would have been 59, I suppose he could have been on a RFA or merchant vessel at that age.

Certainly could be coincidental but quite a few checks in the box do seem to line up..at least it appears it could be possible though highly unlikely he would have ever worn this set, it could still represent his service. Anyhow I never imagined I would find so much info in a short time and regardless made for some interesting reading into a long serving Marine's career.

Edited by jeffskea