News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help needed with dating US buttons

VC89

I just received this pieces in with the mail. It are two US military buttons..

One of the buttons is marked on the back: AMERICAN EMBLEM CO UTAH NY. All I can find of this company is that they produced buttons during WW I but nothing else. Did they also produce them before and/or after WW I?

The second one has no markings but is made out of some hard plastic.

Both buttons have the great seal so they are produced after 1902 but I hope someone here can give me a more specific date or period than 1902-present.

Button 1:

f6m4.jpg

h5pz.jpg
    Button 2:

w3by.JPG

7ue3.JPG
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You'll have to look at the history of the company; AMERICAN EMBLEM CO UTICA NY; to get anything better than post-1902. A Google search turns up discussions on many other forums about this particular company and its manufacture of US Army buttons.

To summarize what I've read from my Google search; the company was founded around 1914 and was in business in NY into the 1950s/1960s. So, now you are somewhere in 1914-mid/late 1960s. I'd guess it's from the 40s/50s/60s. But that's a real "swag".

The plastic button is probably from the mid 40s when metal was in short supply due to the war effort. Late WW2 most likely.

Thanks, IrishGunner.

I searched it with google, and used Utica in stead of Utah (a slip of the tongue ... or fingers in this case :blush:), but seems I missed those topics you found.

• 3 weeks later...