News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Translation Hilfe - "Fliegermasten"

Hello Rick.

I join The Prussian of never having heard that term before.

The German Military Dictionary does, however list " Fliegermaske"-masken for plural or camouflage against air reconnaissance which would make sense in the context you indicate.. Could there be some error in the wording/spelling re. Fliegermasten?

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

According to the the two possible words...

Eine Maske / plural: Masken (engl.: mask)

Ein Mast / plural: Masten (engl.: pole; or in electrical engeneering: pylon)

So I can´t see a sense in Fliegermasten, but in Fliegermasken. That would be a mask for pilots.

Edited by The Prussian

I made a mistake; Bernhard and Andy would be correct, it should be "Fliegermasken" -I read the fraktur character for "k" as "t". Not a photo; It's from a paragraph in Königlich Bayerische Schwere Artillerie about artillery preparations for an upcoming offensive: "Vorbereitung von Fliegermasken und Deckungen gegen Sicht, Erkundung und Bestimmung der Beobachtungs= und Befehlsstellen"

I'm usually pretty good at reading fraktur, but the eyes get tired. :cool:

Hi Rick,

Translating the whole phrase - "Preparation of aviator masks and cover from view, exploration and determination of observation = and command positions" - could it mean camouflage against detection by aircraft?

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Bill, that's how I translate it as well. The passage describes selection of gun positions, including survey and fortification, including concealment. For an artilleryman, it's a very interesting passage about artillery preparations for an upcoming offensive.

Hello readers.

As a little aside touching on this subject just a bit

WW I aviation made large and wide progress . Included were aerial reconnaissance, artillery spotter service, infantry support and such.

Some years ago the Munich auction house, Hermann Historica offered the military estate of a French airforce Brig.General who served as a N.C.O. pilot in WW I and made it to general officer at which rank he served in WW II. He lost a leg during a German bombing.. I advised a former officer of my regiment in Vietnam with whom I had been in touch, of this offer. I heard back that this officer was well known to his family in a friendship which went back to 1913. This pilot was an initial flight instructor of his father in 1913 who later served as an artillery spotter during WW I and maintained their friendship well into the future years.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

Bernhard, thanks for that info. I've been going through 251 Divisions and have noted several "Reconnaissance Flights" "Balloon Squadrons" "Artillery Observation Sections" At some point, I will do an article on aviation support to artillery. But this is a very long way away.