News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medals for service between 1991 and 2003 Iraq?

mariner

Don't forget the Kuwaiti Medal for the Liberation of Kuwait and the Saudi Arabian Medal for the Liberation of Kuwait. Both of these were national medals awarded to US participants, and later issued in a US-produced version.

Also, the Iraq Campaign Medal, which began to be authorized in 2003.

There are 2 GWOT medals, the GWOT Expeditionary Medal and the GWOT Service Medal.

The National Defence Service Medal also covers this period.

Cheers gents, that's been of great interest. Was any award made for Operation Desert Fox, granted it only lasted a couple of days, but so did the ground phase of Gulf War 1?

Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, I believe.

I believe the Armed Forces Expeditionary medal would cover any action in Iraq between this period (that is not covered by another service medal). On the list of qualifying actions, I do see Kuwait (Operation Southern Watch) listed beginning in Dec 1995 with no end date and the following operations (which include Southern Watch, so I am not sure if 2005 is the end date or not?):

Southwest Asia (Operation Southern Watch) 1 December 1995 - 18 March 2003

Southwest Asia (Maritime Intercept Operation) 1 December 1995 - 18 March 2003

Southwest Asia (Operation Vigilant Sentinel) 1 December 1995 - 15 February 1997

Southwest Asia (Operation Northern Watch) 1 January 1997 - 18 March 2003

Southwest Asia (Operation Desert Thunder) 11 November 1988 - 22 December 1998

Southwest Asia (Operation Desert Fox) 16 December 1998 - 22 December 1998

Southwest Asia (Operation Desert Spring) 31 December 1998 - 18 March 2003

Hope that helps! There is also the Armed Forces Service medal, which similar to the AFEM, covers operations not otherwise included in existing service medals. It differs, however, in that the operations that fall under the AFSM do not include opposition with the enemy.

Rob

Edited by captainofthe7th