News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Genuine or copy?

Hello gents, I picked up a little collection of British cap badges today....all mainly run of the mill but this one intrigues me and I would like opinions on wether you believe it to be genuine Victorian badge or a later/modern copy/re strike ....After a quick google search it seemed the examples I found were this colour metal when described as original and more brass coloured when described as copy....thanks in advance

CB  

Welcome aboard!  can we have a first name to address you by, perhaps?  I'm afraid I can't help much with this particular query, as British badges are not me forte, but I'm sure some of our very knowledgeable members will be along shortly to chip in.

Peter

Chris, It's years since I collected cap badges, and I'm quite happy to be corrected on my thoughts. My first reaction is that the back looks very shiny and clean,  often the sign of a modern copy. However, the front looks to have been well polished, with highlights rubbed down, which suggests it might be genuine. How big is it? I don't recall seeing a cap badge like this, but I have seen pouch badges in this design. Final thought- it looks as though it has been cast, rather than struck from a die. This could mean that it's a poor copy. Some cast badges are genuine, and were made when a unit was stationed overseas, but I'm not sure Engineer Volunteers would have been posted abroad.

Hope somebody more knowledgeable can help

Patrick

I have often found that when a badge has been left on the original cap for many years that the back retains a shine missing at the front.    On this piece the front shows all the signs of regular polishing  -  takes years to get that worn look , unless a buffer is used.   I would be be tempted to say that I think thtis is a genuine Victorian example.    Mervyn

ps  -  welcome to GMIC.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mervyn thanks for your info....I need to apologise for appearing to have two accounts....for some reason it wouldn't let me log in as my normal user so I hit use facebook to log in and it created me a new account ....Anyway thanks for your positive thoughts about this cap badge ...