News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Police Long Service Medal variations?

No variations in design.

Early ones were in unplated nickel silver, while the current ones have rhodium plating.

​Thanks Robin! Now you mention it I can see what you mean, the GV1R examples I come across do look slightly different in finish, but I'd always put that down to their age. I've also just noticed that the GV1R version was only issued for about 2 years and yet there seems to be no shortage of them, I would have thought they'd have been rarer. Where as, there must be literally millions of the E11R version? I wonder why they only started awarding the LSGC for police (regulars) in 1951, where as Specials examples go back to GVR? Does anyone know? Do any Edward VII examples exist I wonder?

................and here are the two examples of the regular police LSGC. I believe it also displays the "unplated nickel silver, while the current ones have rhodium plating",  , referred to by Robin? But I maybe wrong there?

Special 2.png

Rhodium plating shines like a mirror.

I was awarded mine in 2000 and it still looks as good as the day it was presented ................... no tarnishing at all.

Rhodium plating was also used on the rims of the 1939 Iron Cross !! ;)

As a point of interest, my grandfather was awarded the GVIR medal when it was instituted and my father was awarded the EIIR medal in 1975. 

Both are in unplated nickel silver.

So the rhodium plating seems to have been introduced well into the present Queen's reign.  I would guess not long before the year 2000.

The GVIR medal is MUCH rarer than the EIIR one, so should be worth a lot more, IMHO.

I suppose Police medals in general just aren't in that much demand by collectors these days. :(

Good question.  Probably just due to tradition. 

I have a 1911 Scottish Police Coronation Medal which just has 'P.C. J. Todd' on the rim ....................... no Force mentioned back then either.

Each Force submits applications for it's eligible medal recipients on an annual basis, and the medals are duly delivered inscribed to the Force for local distribution.  I suppose the 'powers that be' didn't deem it necessary to inscribe the name of the Force that the medals were being delivered to.

Also ...................... it COSTS more to inscribe the name of the Force as well as the name of the recipient.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...