News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

LUSITANIA Warning of Disaster

Always taken as a coincidence although, from Churchill's point of view after the sinking, a helpful coincidence.

I remember reading many years ago (my brain hurts!) that the US ambassador to Great Britain attended a garden party days before the event, what would the USA's response be if a liner with many US citizens on board was sunk by a German submarine. Those who believe in conspiracy believe this was setting up the event.  It is just as easy to see it as a logical question considering the circumstances.

Not so easy to explain is the many eye-witnesses to the torpedo attack that testify to two tracks - even those who were not in a position to see testify thus.

Truth is the first casualty of was. 

I spent two evenings on it then gave up my brain hurt too! its difficult to find facts. Apparently the log of U-20 states they only fired one of their three remaining torpedoes, backed up by radio to Germany and later the crew. The second explosion was different, more powerful rocked the submarine which may suggest it was internal sending shock waves back towards the submerged vessel, a thought?

What I did find surprising how shallow the water was where she sank, her wartime painted colours changed again to civil Cunard, the cargo manifest and parents taking children into a war zone. The medal/coin whatever not having official backing made by Goetz (I believe there is an original at the IWM but haven't visited in over 10yrs) and how much skill is involved being Captain of a large liner.

> in the zone He had ordered all lifeboats under davits hung out, all bulkhead doors closed except as were required to work the ship, portholes were closed. The lookout on the ship was doubled two in the crows nest. Two officers were on the bridge and a quartermaster on either side with instructions to look out for submarines, also the engine room was ordered to keep steam pressure high in case of emergency by telephone from the bridge.

8 am morning of the 7th voyage speed was reduced from 21 to 18 knots to arrive at the bar outside Liverpool 4 am on the 8th to allow the tide to take her into the Mersey. A sea fog came up shortly after the speed reduction a further alteration was required to 15 knots At noon speed was put at 18 knots at which time land was sighted aft the beam (two points) the Captain took to be Brow Head: unable to identify with certainty he kept the ship on her course S 87 E about parallel with the land until 12.40 pm, when, in order to make a better landing he altered course to N 67 E. This brought him closer to land and sighted the Old Head of Kinsale. He then ( 1.40 pm) altered his course back to S 87 E, steadied the ship on course and at (1.50 pm) began to take a four point bearing.

At 2 pm the passengers were finishing their mid day meal. At 2.10 pm when 10 to 15 miles off the Old Head of Kinsale, the Captain who was on the port side of the lower bridge, heard the call. "There is a torpedo coming Sir" given by the second Officer. <

Eric

Edited by Hoss

Robert Ballard did a dive on the Lusitania and reportedly filmed evidence of an IMPLOSION (torpedo) and a second EXPLOSION (?). [Admittedly difficult as she lies on the damaged sided, but he felt that he pieces he had filmed offered some firm evidence.] It is believed that as the liner was approaching harbour her coal bunkers were largely empty and full of coal dust.  The program showed the explosive capacity of coal dust shacken and stirred (not James Bond's taste) and ignited to have explosive ability. The program concluded that the second explosion was real but caused by coal dust.  Prior to this investigation it was thought that the ammunition or gun cotton the liner was carry (which did make it a legitimate target) was NOT capable of causing this explosion.  They took photographs of coal spread all over the sea floor and the hole was where the bunker would have been.

Not withstanding this, eye-witnesses all testified to the enquiry that they saw two torpedo tracks. As you wrote, Capt Goetz's report stated, he only fired one torpedo.

The conspiracy is further advanced by the Admiralty ordering protective warships out of the area, and no record of the final submarine warning.  Was Churchill that cynical.  Yep! 

Edited by aussiesoldier
    Grammar