News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Insigne de la Légion Etrangère

dedehansen

Hello Andreas.

The main color scheme is certainly French Foreign Legion colors green/red as is the 7 flames grenade.

The toothed wheel points to  transportation as does the blue color used. The dragon pictured points to Vietnam/ Indochina where during the French phase of the Indochina War ( 1945 to 1954 ) the Legion had numerous support units such as wheeled and tracked vehicle repair, transportation-, ferry- and engineering units. The unit abbreviation 2 C.R.  does not ring a bell. Perhaps 2. Compagnie de Reparation?

Bernhard H. Holst

Hi,

according to Szecsko´s book, page 361, it is the 2e cie de réparation de la Legion Etrangere CRLE, later the 2e cie. moyenne de réparation de la Legion Etrangere CMRLE.

Created in 1949 out of the 64th cie de rép., which was created in 1945 in Mascara. The time of the Cie ended 1955, sorry I just do nit have the word for "aufgelöst".

watch this http://more-majorum.de/einheiten/materiel/2crle/index.html

Greetings

Michael

Hello Andreas.

The main color scheme is certainly French Foreign Legion colors green/red as is the 7 flames grenade.

The toothed wheel points to  transportation as does the blue color used. The dragon pictured points to Vietnam/ Indochina where during the French phase of the Indochina War ( 1945 to 1954 ) the Legion had numerous support units such as wheeled and tracked vehicle repair, transportation-, ferry- and engineering units. The unit abbreviation 2 C.R.  does not ring a bell. Perhaps 2. Compagnie de Reparation?

Bernhard H. Holst

I know less than nothing about the Legion except for what I learn from Bernhard and others on this forum, but I do wonder about the dragon.  Perhaps it is really an alligator, symbol of amphibious forces in the USA and other countries.  Was this unit part of an amphibious force?  

Hello Michael and Hugh.

First a thank you to Michael to resolve the matter of the unit insignia. This unit as well as all other support units I had mentioned above were dissolved in 1955 and 1956 at the latest. This caused a "glut"  in N.C.O.'s which all had to be placed somewhere and contributed to a slowdown in the advancement of lower ranks ( including this writer's promotion after successfully participating in a selection/training course for future N.C.O.'s ).

Hugh, in regards to the dragon vs. Alligator:

a good number of regimental and other formation's unit insignia of the French Foreign Legion while on active service in Vietnam incorporated a dragon as did the old order of the Dragon of Annam medal of which I posted a sample on this forum sometime ago. While Alligator was the commonly used name for the L.V.T. in use by I have not seen it in any unit insignia except some few, very few Escadron crest not generally in wear. They were tolerated more than any official sanction given. In my unit First ( after 100 hours of operation) and Second Echelon ( after 1,000 hrs of operation) maintenance and repairs were done by our mechanical personnel. If heavy components ( transm. engine or such ) failed upon removal they were shipped to an appropriate  repair outfit. We had no dedicated repair outfit which belonged or was attached to our Amphibious Group.

Thanks for your interest in the matter.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst