News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greek Medal Bar - Research Possible?

Is there any possible way to research a medal bar that spans WW1 & WW2?

The medal bar has the Order of the Phoenix (4th class) among others and the ribbon bar(2) have the Order of George (4th class) in addition to that.  Based on the level of the two orders, it has to be an officer award.

My questions are:

1)  Can the bar/s be researched?

2)  Both ribbon bars have swords on both the George and Phoenix Orders, I do not see crossed swords on the actual Phoenix medal.  So, are the ribbon bars really not for this medal bar, or am I missing something?

3)  I assumed the George Order was possibly awarded late, after the medal bar was in use but I know the award was discontinued at one point in time, circa 1926 I think, so I am confused on that aspect.  I do see where the ribbon got updated to the newer "Medal for Outstanding Acts", so..?  They all came together in the same grouping.

I do not have the member's Order of George and received no information on the recipient when I inquired.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, if possible.

Thank you,

Tim 

c.JPG

Edited by Tim B
    photo

Hello Tim;

Great looking bar.  I can't make out the clasp on the first Military Merit medal.  Can I see a close-up?

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I hope someone here can help you.

Good luck!

Hi Claudius,

Thank you for your comments and answers here.

There is another possibility, that he either wanted to keep the rather high award separate (cased w diploma/certificate) or, as the George Order fell out of favor with the government at the time (circa 1926), perhaps he didn't wear it or even receive the actual medal. ???

Here's the close up of the 1940 bar, best I can at this resolution.  Also, I included a photo of the two medal bars as it shows slight variations in attachments, which I thought was nice.

Warm regards,

Tim

2.jpg

1.jpg

Well... apparently not.

Along those lines, is there anyway to research a named individual that participated in the Balkan War's?  I have both the 1912 and 1913 war medals awarded to Christodoulos Christos George but, I have no more information on the person and would like to know more about his career if possible.

Here's the 1912 Greek / Turkish War Medal with named box of issue (For King and Country):

Medal of the Greek -Turkish War 1912 w-case.JPG

Christodoulos Christos George - For King and Country.JPG

Medal of the Greek -Turkish War 1912.JPG

Medal of the Greek -Turkish War 1912 - clasps.JPG

Here's his 1913 Greek / Bulgaria War Medal (Victories).

Medal of the Greek - Bulgarian War 1913 w-case.JPG

Christodoulos Christos George - Victories.JPG

Medal of the Greek - Bulgarian War 1913.JPG

Medal of the Greek - Bulgarian War 1913 clasps.jpg

Edited by Tim B

• 1 month later...

maybe.....i have seen Greek WW2 officers ranklists on eBay over the years and assume they followed the German style of denoting decorations. I never bought one because they are beyond my collecting range and they are expensive.....but never say, never. 

Thanks guys!

Yes, I have some questions regarding the two higher awards and was hoping someone would know more specifics regarding the swords vs non-swords as it pertains to the medal vs ribbon bars.

Greek medals are not really within my collecting area in general but I do like the Balkan and World War medals.  This is the only Greek bar I have with the WW1 Victory Medal as part of the group  The Balkan War medals are getting rather hard to find anymore, especially with multiple clasps.

Thanks again!

Tim