News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Alf. Your truncheon looks American to me, and the 4 digit control number seems to suggest that it came from a large department. I have seen number tags fastened to military truncheons as well. There are some real experts on this forum, and hopefully, one of them will weigh in. Mike.

Hi, I think the honest answer with regard to any plan wood truncheon is that unless they start to talk we will never know. What we can say is this is not the traditional style used in the UK. However, it could have been a one-off bespoke item. 

We also know that collar numbers do not reach this high in UK forces, with the exception of members of the Special Constabulary. Some forces used to have a means of separating regular officers and Specials. One way of doing this was to have SC collar numbers which start at higher numbers such as the 5,000s. 

I doubt this was Plymouth City, but could have been Devon and Cornwall - Special Constabulary? My knowledge of American items is not great so Mike's suggestion is also worthy of consideration. 

Looks to me like a short British 'Detective's Truncheon' from the Victorian era. 

Small ................. to keep in the pocket of civilian jackets. 

No 'baton pockets' in civvy suits !!  ;)

Think Sherlock Holmes.

I had a similar verified short 'Detective's Truncheon' in my old Force Museum. 

The number is a mystery to me ............... perhaps a later museum reference code addition ???

14 hours ago, Alan.Cook said:

Hi, I think the honest answer with regard to any plan wood truncheon is that unless they start to talk we will never know. What we can say is this is not the traditional style used in the UK. However, it could have been a one-off bespoke item. 

We also know that collar numbers do not reach this high in UK forces, with the exception of members of the Special Constabulary. Some forces used to have a means of separating regular officers and Specials. One way of doing this was to have SC collar numbers which start at higher numbers such as the 5,000s. 

I doubt this was Plymouth City, but could have been Devon and Cornwall - Special Constabulary? My knowledge of American items is not great so Mike's suggestion is also worthy of consideration. 

Thanks Alan - Any help in solving this mystery is appreciated!Alf

13 hours ago, Robin Lumsden said:

Looks to me like a short British 'Detective's Truncheon' from the Victorian era. 

Small ................. to keep in the pocket of civilian jackets. 

No 'baton pockets' in civvy suits !!  ;)

Think Sherlock Holmes.

I had a similar verified short 'Detective's Truncheon' in my old Force Museum. 

The number is a mystery to me ............... perhaps a later museum reference code addition ???

Many thanks Robin - didnt think of a museum numbered item-Cheers-Alf