News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question: Campaign Credit for Persia 1908

Hi!

I have a question in regards to service in or around Persia in 1908-1911. For the sake of background I'll explain in the shortest possible way I can.

Some of you may be aware of the Anglo-Russian Convention of 1907 and in its simplest form divided Persia into spheres of influence between Tsarist Russia and Britain to ease tensions between the empires and of course in response to the constitutional government rising in Persia. This treaty gave Russia influence and control over the northern part of the country, and Britain got the southern and eastern part of Persia that bordered British India.

So, my question is are there any clasps for any of the general service medals that was for service in Persia in and around this time? I'm aware of the Naval General Service Medal in which there is a clasp for the Persian Gulf 1908-1911 but, is there a clasp for any other medals? Say, for land forces?

Thanks!

- Nick

The NGS Persian Gulf 1909-14 was issued to 7,127 Naval Personnel including Indian Marine, 37 NGS were additionally awarded to Army Personnel. Amongst the Naval awards were 28 to the Basian Coal Depot staff and 19 to the Heniam Coal Depot staff.

Paul

I can't see any reference which would suggest that the Africa Star was authorized for Middle East operations but anyone who satisfied the requirements of 'six months service in an operational command', which Paiforce undoubtedly did, should have qualified for the 1939-45 Star and War Medal, I would think.  Very little information on this area partly because it was a 'bit of a sideshow' to the main campaigns and perhaps because, legally speaking, the Allied presence in an originally neutral nation was a bit dodgy, thought that latter is my guess only, not based on what little I've read so far. 

Paiforce groups turn up but usually they are just War Medal for that theatre, often they come with pre-war or post war groups.

Here is an example of a pair sold by Morton and Eden in 2002

Second World War Persia and Iraq Command Pair, 201567 Major R.A.F. Winsloe R.A.S.C. Defence and War medals, War Medal with verdigris on obv, very fine, with forwarding slip (2) £60-80

The lot is sold with related buttons and badges and considerable documentation, including: Persia and Iraq Command Certificate of Good Service, 1 Jan. 1945; quantity of photographs, mostly taken during Iran-Iraq service (some duplicated); Baghdad to Beirut 1944, booklet for the Leave Convoy (with map); Paiforce, The Official Story of the Persia and Iraq Command 1941-46, H.M.S.O., 1948; Commission as Captain, R.A. (Territorial Army), 30 Sept. 1947; Royal Artillery Association Rally 1948, souvenir booklet; 16th Column Club, Third Reunion Menu, 15 Jan. 1949; T.A. accounts, etc.

Also included in this lot are: a copy of Rackets in India, Bombay 1930, by Colonel A.R. Winsloe, C.M.G., D.S.O. (son of Col. R.W.C. Winsloe); photographs of India taken by Col. Winsloe; and two other photographs related to his rackets playing.