News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Operation Blue Star 1984

David Vivian

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post in regards to post 1947 Indian medals and it is possibly a controversial one.

Recently I have been reading about Operation Blue Star in Punjab in June 1984. My reading got me wondering 

what service medals (if any) were awarded for this very controversial operation.

Does anyone know?

Hi David,

There was discussion regarding a separate medal for Operation Blue Thunder, however because the Garaj Star for Operation Black Thunder was so unpopular it was decided not to issue a medal for this.  This and other such operations saw a clasp to the Samanya Seva Medal 1965.  This was the Suraksha (Security) clasp.  Originally the General Service Medal 1947 was issued with the Suraksha clasp.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Regards

Brian

I would like to see one as well.

Curious that there is no mention of a Suraksha (Security) clasp to the  Samanya Seva Medal 1965 in Ed's book.

Or here.....

http://sagongs.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=107&hl=%2Bsamanya+%2Bseva+%2Bmedal+%2B1965

Cheers

Larry

Edited by Laurence Strong

Hi Laurence,

David's question (thank you David) started me on a quest as I was sure I had an example in the collection, I was surprised to find I do, in fact, not have one; so much for my memory.  I thought that perhaps I could take a photo of an example from Ed's book (giving full credit of course) but was even more surprised to find none there either.  This leds me to think that it has to be quite rare indeed.  I had to search but there is mention of the Suraksha clasp to the Samanya Seva in Ed's book but it is under the Garaj Star on page 111 near the bottom of the page.

Regards

Brian

An interesting thing about Garaj Star for Operation Black Thunder and the absence of a separate star for Operation Blue Thunder is that there was a reluctance among many soldiers to wear the Garaj Star once issued, especially for those still serving in the Punjab area.  There is a ribbon for the Garaj Star which is worn more often that the star itself but even this was not overly welcomed by many service people who qualified.  The reason is a matter that the operations were internal and against what can only be seen as "their own people", in other words against fellow Indians.  I will leave the details of the operations to you, the reader, to search out on the internet as much has been written about this period of history.   All pervious battle Stars were for actions against other nations such as Pakistan. 

The history of the conflicts between India and Pakistan, while short as far as history is concerned, is most interesting and well worth study.  "Fall out" due to the conflicts continues to the present day, much as between North and South Korea.

Regards

Brian

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 07:41, Brian Wolfe said:

Hi Laurence,

David's question (thank you David) started me on a quest as I was sure I had an example in the collection, I was surprised to find I do, in fact, not have one; so much for my memory.  I thought that perhaps I could take a photo of an example from Ed's book (giving full credit of course) but was even more surprised to find none there either.  This leds me to think that it has to be quite rare indeed.  I had to search but there is mention of the Suraksha clasp to the Samanya Seva in Ed's book but it is under the Garaj Star on page 111 near the bottom of the page.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for that Brian I missed that.

If you go to page 106 you will find it states (3rd paragraph) "The existing Samanya Seva medal......could not be awarded in this case since issues of political expediency....."

Cheers

Larry