News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Capt. Laxmi and Chandra Bose Comemmorative Medal

Gordon Craig

Gentlemen,

What  can you tell me about the medal pictured in this thread?  Who made it, who designed it, who was it awarded to, date of institution etc.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  I own this medal but it is on its way to me as we speak.

Regards,

Gordon

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Edited by Gordon Craig

'Captain Laxmi' was Doctor Laksmi Sagal, who was practicing medecine in Singapore in 1940 - running a clinic for Indian labourers.  She helped wounded Indian POWs and became involved with the Indian National Army under Bose -  you know who he was.

As a propaganda tool - a female, medical doctor who fought for independence - she was invaluable to the INA cause, I suspect.  She also established the 'Rani of Jhansi' all-female regiment of the INA in 1943.    that led to the nickname 'Captain Laxmi / Lakshmi' which she bore for the rest of her life.  Seems to have escaped criminal trial after the war but went on to joing the Indian Communist Party, serve in various feminist organizations and was still seeing patinets at age 92!  Quite a lady.

I suspect the medal itself is a fund raiser or commemorative, almost certainly created during the war, as such items would have been quickly destroyed or hidden after 1945!  Possibly a much more recent striking, but  y money would be on the war period, based on the quality and apparent age.

A nice find indeed.

Edited by peter monahan