News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Women's Voluntary Service Medal roll.

Hi, anyone know if there's a WVS Long Service Medal roll available? I have one, plus the award letter to a Mrs Hooper. Would be good to add some more details to it. 

Thank you, 

Duncan. 

• 2 weeks later...

Duncan

Not my field at all, but I see that no one else has responded.  A quick look at the Wiki entry for this award indicates that it is in the personal gift of Her Majesty and several footnotes, which I did NOT check, reference the London Gazette, so my guess is that awards appear there and have not/are not listed in a publicly available medal roll.  But that is strictly a guess, based on a very general knowledge of British honours and awards [and how hard they can be to research].  However, the Gazette is available on line, so a search of the period during which the letter was sent might turn something up.

However, the organization still exists, as the Royal Voluntary Service, who can be contacted here: https://www.royalvoluntaryservice.org.uk/contact-us.  Presumably someone in their upper ecehelons could answer your query.  Good luck with the hunt!

Peter

Hello, thank you for taking time to answer. I think I found her in the London Gazette under OBEs awarded - regional organiser for the WVS. After that the trail goes cold, too many people of the same name for a positive BMD identification. 

Thanks again for your help. 

Regards 

Duncan. 

My pleasure. 

Yes, the fact that name combinations - identical first and last or even first, middle, and last shared is a major obstacle to research.  I did a book on 70 men whose names are recorded on the WWI memorials in my area.  About half are a surname and first initial only and in at least two cases I had to go with 'this is probably Private...' because of cousins, uncles and nephews or in one case completely unrelated men with the same three names. :(