News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

M-1915 See-Battailon buttons

Most know that the reich's crown was used on buttons for pre-war and M-1907/10 feldgrau uniforms for colonial troops and marine infantry. However, I had never seen reich's crown buttons for M-1915 bluses and overcoats until recently, when I found a couple of these larger-sized elisted man's buttons (approx. 23 mm in diam).

Regards

Dave

IPB Image

back

IPB Image

Dave,

Nice buttons. At 23mm where would these have been worn on a Bluse? Pocket and shoulder strap buttons would most likely have been in the 18mm size. Perhaps these would have been the tunic buttons during that 1915 period when the painted steel buttons were first coming into use. That might also account for their scarcity, as these would only have been produced for a short period of time. What do you think?

It would make sense that these buttons might have been worn on an overcoat, but I have never heard that there was any deviation from the 1915 universal crown buttons for any branch or contingent. Anybody out there have additional information?

Would any tropical uniforms had such a wartime button? Middle Eastern contingents?

Chip

Chip:

Based on the size and shape (no pebbling or outer rim) of the buttons, I think they would be for either overcoat buttons or used as rear belt ramps on the bluse. Here is a standard M-15 "Prussian" belt ramp and button/shoulder strap button for comparison. As far as buttons for tropical tunics other than marine infantry and colonial troops, I would think that regular Prussian or Bavarian buttons would be utilized? What is your take?

Dave

IPB Image

Dave,

They look like issue buttons, so I think Bluse belt support buttons is out (no ramp). The rimless-equals- overcoat button makes sense, but I am not aware of special overcoat buttons for See Bataillon contingents. I think for the time being we will have to wait for some period regulations or photographic evidence. Anybody out there have period photos of See Bataillon members wearing wartime gray overcoats?

Chip

• 1 year later...

While looking for an old thread I re-read this one and have since discovered that the buttons shown by dmosher are indeed overcoat buttons for the M15 See Bataillon overcoat. With the exception of the lack of shoulder straps and these buttons, the coat is a normal M15 issue overcoat. There is an example of this coat in a private collection, which is pictured on this website http://www.sacktrick.com/igu/germancolonia...20greatcoat.htm .

Chip