News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Newly acquired documents grouping

Jacques

I recently acquired a really interesting small group. It was already proposed to me 2 years ago, but no money at the time, and recently, it appeared again to me. I then took the opportunity.

The group is attributed to Ogefr. Siegfried BODE who died in Spain. He was appointed to the F/88. He died on April 9th, 1938, following a motorcycle accident near Alcarraz.

He was awarded the "Medalla de la Campa?a", the "Medalla de sufrimientos por la Patria", the spanish cross in silver. I suppose that he was also awarded the Next of kin cross, but it is not in the group.

The group contain also a letter from H. G?ring to the familly, and a small emotional photo album showing pics of the burial ceremony.

So, not a big group, but great by the story which is behind it.

Here is the Photoalbum cover page, which has been decorated by his former comrades.

And on the last page of the album, this drew which was done by comrades for the family.

I already such a small album with same drew in another LC dead soldier. May be one of you own also such an album which could confirm this common practize in the very early war years.

The spanish cross in silver document.

According to the fact that he received the silver class , I deduct that he died accidently in mission.

those who died in a combat action received the gold class, and those who died of illness or other were awarded the bronze class. Nothing proove it, it just my opinion based on several group I saw.

Guest Rick Research

The "fiel" on his tombstone implies killed in action since "gefallen" is normally used that way, but the letter does indeed say "verstorben" which is "died" rather than "killed."

The letter is to his mother, so she could have received the next of kin cross.

The "fiel" on his tombstone implies killed in action since "gefallen" is normally used that way, but the letter does indeed say "verstorben" which is "died" rather than "killed."

The letter is to his mother, so she could have received the next of kin cross.

I would have like to get the "Next of kin" document too, but...

After reading again the names list of the dead in Spain and comparing the very few groups I know, it seems that I need more informations and samples to make a rule.

Ogfr. Bode was on duty/service/mission when he died, but not in combat action. For sample, another group I know (Gef. Sch?fer), the recipient was awarded the SC bronze; he was killed by a friendly fire at the barracks. the third is Sal's grouping (Uffz. Oblau) which include the gold SC; the soldier vehicle was shot by enemy artillerie during a mission. But Lt. Plate died during a traffic accident and was awarded the Sc in gold.

My theory doesn't match..

Medalla de sufrimientos por la Patria document. This medal was awarded to the wounded, but also the soldiers who died in Spain.

According to Spanish regulations, the Medalla de sufrimientos por la Patria was awarded to wounded soldiers and next of kin of dead soldiers, including a economical compensation in both cases, but not to dead soldiers.

In my opinion, the medal was awarded by the Nationalist government to the next of kin of the fallen German soldiers, but being unable to know the name of the next of kin, the document was filled with the name of the soldier. Of course, Nationalist government could have contacted its German counterpart to obtain the name of the required person, but that should have delayed the awarding process. This is just a theory, but it explains the contradiction between regulations and actual documents.

Edited by Panzerpionier