News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spanish Civil War/Franco Era Infantry Cap

Avitas

Hello gents,

I posted this item as a Danish field cap but it turns out it is a Spanish field cap, in the Spanish Civil War era/ww2 era. I thought it would be a good idea to correctly post this item as you don't see too many. This cap is in excellent shape and is marked with similar markings as one posted on another forum (crown and sizing info that appears to be in 2 languages). Noone has commented on the words "Taller" and "Unden" as I thought they sounded German, but the large "Talla" is very evident and it means "size" in Spanish. The red tassel is a giveaway as well apparently for being Spanish civil war/Franco era. I am wondering if perhaps it was made in another country or something because why else would there be two languages (I assume, please correct me if I am wrong on the words being Spanish and German). Hopefully some more info can come out of posting this in the correct forum! :P

Thanks for any help on this interesting piece,

Pat

Here are the markings on this wool Spanish field cap for further study, the consensus so far is it is probably either Spanish Civil war era or immediately following it, so any confirmation or other examples are great.

Pat

Here are the markings on this wool Spanish field cap for further study, the consensus so far is it is probably either Spanish Civil war era or immediately following it, so any confirmation or other examples are great.

Pat

I am far from an expert, but I would say it is post-1939.

Pat

Markings are barely readable. Could you post the text?

Edited by Panzerpionier

Here is all I could read, it is very faint in person as well. This cap I believe is from the 40's or 50's which is still Franco era, but definitely post 1939.

1st Box of info:

Some sort of Crown, followed by"E.C.I.VESTUART?

Unden 1??? (a date, but barely legible, looks like 1939 or 1930)

Taller 11 M 5 E ?

TALLA 1"

The 2nd box I can't make out anything except for "22 1 55" which could be a date, but just a guess. There is also a stamp of a "J" with a box around it. Now hopefully someone with good detective skills can decipher this cryptic writing.

I hope that helps a bit and thanks for the input,

Cheers,

Pat

Here is all I could read, it is very faint in person as well. This cap I believe is from the 40's or 50's which is still Franco era, but definitely post 1939.

1st Box of info:

Some sort of Crown, followed by"E.C.I.VESTUART?

Unden 1??? (a date, but barely legible, looks like 1939 or 1930)

Taller 11 M 5 E ?

TALLA 1"

The 2nd box I can't make out anything except for "22 1 55" which could be a date, but just a guess. There is also a stamp of a "J" with a box around it. Now hopefully someone with good detective skills can decipher this cryptic writing.

I hope that helps a bit and thanks for the input,

Cheers,

Pat

I am sure first line reads E.C.I. Vestuario (E.C.I. CLOTHING or E.C.I. WARDROBE).

Perhaps second line reads ORDEN 1??? (ORDER 1???). Perhaps the introduction order/regulation year or the manufacturing order number.

"Taller" means Workshop and "Talla" means Size.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sure first line reads E.C.I. Vestuario (E.C.I. CLOTHING or E.C.I. WARDROBE).

Perhaps second line reads ORDEN 1??? (ORDER 1???). Perhaps the introduction order/regulation year or the manufacturing order number.

"Taller" means Workshop and "Talla" means Size.

Good eye Panzerpionier!

Upon closer look it does indeed say "Orden" so that would make sense on it being the date of issue and it probably does say "Vestuario", it is just REALLY hard to read. The best I can make out on the date is it is either "1938", "1939", "1948", or "1949". Basically, the first two numbers are 19 and then either a 3 or a 4 in the third spot and an 8 or 9 or possibly a 5 in the last spot. These dates would fit into the estimate of late-30's to late-40's for the time frame. The identical cap and markings as mentioned earlier was on another major forum and the consensus did turn out to be a Spanish Franco era (40's-50's) enlisted man's field cap. IT would appear we have come to the same conclusion here as well. If anyone has more to add please do and I hope we have finally figured this one out.

Cheers,

Pat