News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Gents,

I have a new medalbar which has created interest as to where this particular NCO would have served...as it is unusual to see Hessan and Austrian bravery awards on one bar... ohmy.gif

Comments appreciated also any info on the particular unit he served in.

Thanking you in advance!

Regards

Paul

Guest Rick Research

There were too many Hessian units on the Eastern Front to be able to identify a specific unit. This was probably an enlisted man's bar, though officer candidates got the enlisted bravery medals from Austria-Hungary while they were still in those ranks.

That's a bronze class Kaiser Karl bravery medal? I love the deep chocolate finish these were made in.

Is that a real silver Hessian bravery ("F?r Tapferkeit" on reverse?) medal, or a silvered one?

Hesse had the most BEAUTIFUL award documents of any German state. The awrad documnets for these had a gold crown at top and all four sides bordered by the bravery medal ribbon in full color. I just saw their War Effort Medal's document for the first time on a German dealer's site, and it too had the croiwn and full color ribbon border.

SOLD my only Hessian bravery document years ago :speechless-smiley-004: but given the usual mimeographed dog license nature of most German paperwork, I'd recommend people...

Collect HESSIAN!!!!! :food-smiley-004:

Thanks Rick!

Oh! so there were many units on the eastern front ...Hmmm, i was led to believe that this bar was unusual due to the fact that there was two bravery decorations from different states.

Yes the Hesse Silver bravery medal is Silver with Fur Tapfurkeit on the reverse

The Karl of Austria medal has Fortitvdini on its reverse and yes the colour is deep.

Where can i possibly veiw one of these documents you mention??

Thankyou for your time! smile.gif

Best regards

Paul

Here is my silver Hessen Bravery medal. Notice the 990 mark at the bottom of the reverse.

Don

Edited by dond

Hi Dond,

Thanks for posting the pic, i had no idea that these were marked as to their silver content.

I guess now that mine is the type that rick was talking about...or did they not nessesarily mark all the silver ones??

Thanking you for your help!

Cheers,

Paul

Guest Rick Research

Wow! I've never seen-- or at least NOTICED blush.gif a silver marked one before. The only one I have still in my collection is frosted silvered late war on this medal bar.

One foreign award to a German is not unusual. Nice, but not distinctive.

Nice Bar Rick!

What is the wee small medal with the yellowish ribbon?

I am sure that my Hesse Silver bravery medal is silver...i can tell by the Patina...

Anyway thanks for showing the pic!

Regards

Paul