News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What is this? A pump?

Hi guys, can you please help me, what is this thing? It is a kind of pump, at one side has a cap for pouring oil, on the othr side has a switch on knob. So, is it an air pump, or an oil pump? It is marked WaA 37 and dpq42H.

and last one

Hi Theodor,

I just got back up from the bunker checking the only two references I thought might have this piece. Sorry to say, no luck. :(

I'm wondering if this was not used to put oil into certain guns or other equipment such as chain saws, etc. in order to prevent spills. Basically it looks like it would have been equipped with a small hose which would have screwed onto or otherwise attached to this unit and then into the item where the oil needed to go.

That's my best guess... but hoping one of the members might get this one nailed down for you.

Will be keeping my fingers crossed. Sorry I couldn't do more for you. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Thank you very much for the effort, Dan! :cheers: So far it is a mistery, noone has seen it.

It is definitey a kind of pump, on the bottom it has a hole - there is no screw, it is like a small funnel, as if to be pushed on something cone-shaped. What makes the mistery is the oil tank. Not only the cap for pouring the oil, but the knob fur tuning on/off ??? I opened the pump, I see no connection between the pump cylinder and the oil tank - but of course there may be a hole on the wall of the cylinder near the bottom, which I can not see.

So, I think it is not a bike/motorbike pump, these must have been pretty common - and this is not common.

It is rather some special, not widely used tool, only used as you say for some kind of gun or equipment.The search goes on! :cheers: Outside it is good, but inside very rusty, the turning knob is "frozen". I'll spray some WD40 in the oil tank, so hopefully the mechansm will work again - and it may tell more about the use of that pump.

Edited by Theodor

Thank you very much for the effort, Dan! :cheers: So far it is a mistery, noone has seen it.

It is definitey a kind of pump, on the bottom it has a hole - there is no screw, it is like a small funnel, as if to be pushed on something cone-shaped. What makes the mistery is the oil tank. Not only the cap for pouring the oil, but the knob fur tuning on/off ??? I opened the pump, I see no connection between the pump cylinder and the oil tank - but of course there may be a hole on the wall of the cylinder near the bottom, which I can not see.

So, I think it is not a bike/motorbike pump, these must have been pretty common - and this is not common.

It is rather some special, not widely used tool, only used as you say for some kind of gun or equipment.The search goes on! :cheers: Outside it is good, but inside very rusty, the turning knob is "frozen". I'll spray some WD40 in the oil tank, so hopefully the mechansm will work again - and it may tell more about the use of that pump.

Hi Theodor,

It really looks like a great piece of gear. I wish I could have found more. I was really surprised not to find it in one of my refs that I checked which was the U.S. Army guide on German Forces in WWII that they printed back during or just after the war. A big thick book with tons of equipment, etc. They had something similar used in their chemical warfare units which of course never really got used during the war. But that was about the closest I could find.

Just a gut feeling but they did show a huge two man chain saw and I wonder if perhaps this would not have been used to lubricate something like that.

But hopefully something will turn up and we can solve this mystery. Perhaps if anyone knows of a WWII German engineer vet he could shed some light on this one.

Best of luck with it. Great looking piece... especially with the great eagle marking on it. Wouldn't mind having one in my collection some day. I'll have to keep an eye out! :P:beer:

• 1 month later...

Hi Theodor,

It really looks like a great piece of gear. I wish I could have found more. I was really surprised not to find it in one of my refs that I checked which was the U.S. Army guide on German Forces in WWII that they printed back during or just after the war. A big thick book with tons of equipment, etc. They had something similar used in their chemical warfare units which of course never really got used during the war. But that was about the closest I could find.

Just a gut feeling but they did show a huge two man chain saw and I wonder if perhaps this would not have been used to lubricate something like that.

But hopefully something will turn up and we can solve this mystery. Perhaps if anyone knows of a WWII German engineer vet he could shed some light on this one.

Best of luck with it. Great looking piece... especially with the great eagle marking on it. Wouldn't mind having one in my collection some day. I'll have to keep an eye out! :P:beer:

hello, perhaps its a delaousing pump, dust around the rear end??? pikestaff

• 2 months later...

Theodor,

This item has Heerswaffenamt (HWaA) code WAa37 on it, so it must be associated with one of the following items which were the responsibility of the inspection office code WAa37, located at the following companies:

(Item descriptions in bold added by myself.)

-C.G. Haenel, Waffen und Fahrrad-Fabrik, Suhl, Th?ringen (122) : (MP 38 Submachine Gun :1940)

-C.G. Haenel, Waffen und Fahrrad-Fabrik, Suhl, Th?ringen (fxo) : (P 08 Luger Pistol magazines ; MP44 Machine Pistol : 1941 - 45)

-Gebr. Heller GmbH, Marienthal bei Schweina (csr) : (SG.84/98 : 1939 - 40) Bayonet

-Gebr. Heller GmbH, Marienthal bei Schweina (csr) : (SG.84/98 : 1941 - 44) Bayonet

-J.P. Sauer-u. Sohn, Gewehrfabrik, Suhl, Th?ringen (147) : (K98k : 1938 - 40) Rifle

-J.P. Sauer-u. Sohn, Gewehrfabrik, Suhl, Th?ringen (ce) : (K98k : 1941 - 44) Rifle

The Luger magazine and bayonets can be eliminated, so it appears your item was involved with lubrication of one of the weapons shown above.

Cheers, Ken