News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

CCC backplate question

I have always wondered what purpose the backplate in the CCC's served? If it was to strengthen the award, it would have made more sense both construction wise and cost wise to make the award solid rather than with a hollow back that then required the application of the backplate. The only logical thing I can think of is that the construction was to provide some color contrast for the central device but even this makes less sense than coloring a single piece. Anyone with any theories on this one?

Richard V

Hi Richard,

I chalk it up to the German's intense attention to detail and proclivity toward intricate award design. Just look the the German Cross. Although the central motif area, as view from the obverse does have a sort of 3 dimension look to it, it can be accomplished without the need of a separate backplate. There exists a late war clasp that has the backplate area not cut out on the reverse, but looks the same as those with a separate backplate, when viewed from the obverse. As far as strength goes, I can only say that it probably weakened the clasp rather than make it stronger.

There are certain AGMuK clasps that utilize a blue backplate, which does add a bit of relief, but not enough to really warrant a cut out for the backplate in my opinion.

Tom D.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it was for colour contrast as well, as that is the only logical reason for having it there. Otherwise, it would have been solid and not nearly as impressive in my view. From the more I learn about these awards, no detail was too small in these highly idealistic minds who created the awards if it meant creating a more respectable and grand piece of work.

Cheers,

Pat