News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

my 1 first english medals

[attachmentid=51872]First im new here, today i got my first english ww 1 medals,all from 1 person: PTE. W.J. Jackson E.Kent.R.

many greetings fom germany

A beautiful set. The silver badge indicates he was discharged as a result of wounds or sickness. The East Kent Regiment are the famous Buffs.

Is this your man's number Medal Index Card? If you order this, you will get further information about him

many thanks, yes its the man, itcosts 3,50 pounds to get mor information about this soldier,maybe i do it!

It is well worth it. If I know his battalion number I can give you a better idea where his battalion fought. This information should be on the card. It should also tell you when he first entered a theatre of war, which was important to determine eligibility for the 1914 or 1914-15 Stars.

His War Service Badge may also be shown.

Meanwhile this page is a good overview of the service of The Buffs 1914-18.

Edited by Michael Johnson

is this the batilloin number: g- 4532?

That is his service number. The Battalion number should be somewhere near the "Corps" box. This is the National Archives guide to the Cards Medal Index Cards. Unfortunately none of the examples given are for Infantry regiments. I'm at work and don't seem to have any saved on this computer. It should be a number 1-8: 2 East Kent Regt., 8 East Kent Regt.

Can you post a link to the card? Or what is the exact naming on the back of the Star?

Edited by Michael Johnson

The book, "The Historical Records of The Buffs East Kent Regiment 1914-1919" by Col. RSH Moody has been reprinted and is availalbe from the Naval and Military Press (that is where I got mine). 554 pages of great reading.

Ron

• 8 months later...

Hi Gents,

I only know (a little) about the Royal West Kents, but without going to Kew, in my experience it's often quite hard to ascertain which battalion a certain man served in unless he was KIA.

You can sometimes work it out from looking in the battalion history, which may have a list of all men who served, and the number can also give an indication (e.g. men in the 11th Battalion RWK's often have numbers in the 10-12k range), but exceptions to these 'rules' abound.

Cheers

Gilbert

Edited by deptfordboy

If the MIC has been checked yet then it may have shown the battalion, I suppose I should check Howard Williams's book see if it's of help in the case of this particular serial number.

The prefix is applied to WWI wartime home counties regiments as I recall.

Might still be worth a check of CWGC & Soliers Died, even though he received the silver wound badge by the look of it.

The prefix is applied to WWI wartime home counties regiments as I recall.

Might still be worth a check of CWGC & Soliers Died, even though he received the silver wound badge by the look of it.

16 of them on cwgc, he wasn't one of them so must have been invalided out. It would be great to find out if that actually is his SWB.

The Royal Sussex also had the G prefix. so not just for the home counties.

------

Sorry, thought I had found some info on him and posted in too much of a hurry. Must remember E. Kent isn't E. Surrey :speechless:

Edited by Tony