News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SS Serial Number Question

I've had this Boker ground Rohm dagger for almost 20 years. Prior to buying it, I noticed the last digit of the serial number was a 6, while the last digit on the scabbard was a 9; I figured the person who stamped the numbers inverted the last one by mistake, so I wound up buying the dagger. Several months later, I wrote Tom Wittmann (pre-internet days) asking his opinion about the possibility of the last number of the serial number being inverted by mistake; he wrote back saying the inversion of the last number was well within the realm of possibility.

My question is: has anyone else had seen such errors on other SS (or SA) daggers? If so, I'd like to hear about them (and see them if pictures are available).

Thanks!

Scott

Here's a picture of the dagger and of the underside of the front cross-guard...

Edited by Scott

• 3 months later...

Scott,

I must say that in collecting over 30 years, I have not seen this. But since the numbers on daggers were applied individually, I can certainly understand how it happened and I'm sure it's not an isolated case.

If I was to guess, I would say that the right number is 12326 - the number on the dagger. The scabbard looks the same from the top regardless of which way it's facing and it would be easier to make a mistake in applying the numbers on the throat of a scabbard. But that's just a guess and there is no way of knowing which is the right number. This could drive you crazy. :speechless:

I checked my data base and SS number 12326 is not there but 12329 is. It was assigned to SS-Untersturmfuhrer Fritz Michiels of the 25th SS-Standarte based in Essen.

Nice dagger by the way.

Bernie

Edited by Bernie Brule

Thanks Bernie. One of the GMIC forum members was nice enough to post a page from the 1939 SS List with Fritz Michiels name, which was exciting news.

Unfortunately, this dagger no longer 'fits' in my small Luftwaffe collection, so I've put it up for sale: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ad.php?t=187958.

Best wishes.

Scott

• 4 years later...

I have a Unit-marked SA dagger with matching numbers on both crossguard and upper scabbard band. One of the numbers on the scabbard, a "4", is stamped sideways! I agree with Tom Wittmann that there was not always great care in stamping these numbers.

EBJ (new member, exploring the sites)