News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nepalese army buttons ?

Paul L Murphy

In the total absence of sources, I'd agree. Look like what a brigadier I met this summer was wearing. Surely is a Nepali crown.

That design is sure to change in the near future, reflecting political shifts, so these may soon be really collectible.

The best thing would be to ask someone behind the counter at one of the "cap shops" in Kathmandu, just down the street from SARC headquarters. In addition to selling the traditional Nepali caps that all men wear, they also sell military insigniae and, most importantly for us, medals. They know rules and regulations COLD. I've watched them explaining to senior army officers how things are supposed to be done. And I've been struck that even senior officers -- including the very nice but totally clueless brigadier I met this summer -- don't even know what their ribbons signify. And Nepal is no different from other places: if you want information, ask a good military tailor. Asking an embassy is probably a waste of time, and especially in Nepal, given the recent changes, I doubt they'd be able to supply much in the way of official regulations UNLESS you could assist them in taking out the trash as they clear all the old royalist rules from their shelves.

The other possibility would be to find out who made the buttons (in India, I suspect) and see if they know anything.

Given the total lack of any sources on almost anything Nepali (for some reason, collectors focus romantically on the Gorkhas and ignore Nepal) and the near-total chaos in Nepal these days, I doubt much information can be found.

My guess (GUESS) is that there are separate patterns for enlisted, officers, and senior officers, and that these buttons are the third of these types. And all this in a TINY military of maybe 90,000 total, and shrinking with current reforms.

Looks as though ithe buttons could be police items. The badge shown below is a police badge and has a similar design - crowned wreath enclosing kukri and baton. The badge is in cast brass of typical Indian manufacture, with integral split-pin lugs, 48mm high.

What the extensions are, outside the wreath, I cannot imagine, but they obviously do not apply to the kukri.

Hope this may add to your information (confusion?)

Brian

[attachmentid=53992]

Nothing wrong with confusion ! It is a wonderful state in which to find yourself. It is a crossed kukri and truncheon and may be police as you say. It certainly looks like the centre of the badge that you have posted. I presumed military since they are brass instead of white metal.