News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another ribbon bar in old style - from Baden

Here's a bar a have now for some years in my little collection, but I'm still not sure what it may represent, as it has a yellow and two Baden jubilee ribbons, as for the 1902 medal. The yellow may be a Prussian Centenarmedaille or a Baden merit medal (for peace time and/or civil merit), the two Baden jubilee ribbons are matching to the 1902 "Regierungjubiläums-Medaille" both in bronce and gold, and also to the 1906 "Erinnerungsmedaille".

But: the last two are extremely rare, and also the 1906 medal is often seen mounted genuine on a wrong ribbon: on the ribbon of the "Friedrich- Luisen-Medaille", most likely as the medals are looking quite similar.

If(!) these bars were only worn by officers (I think I've read this here?!), it cannot be the Baden merit medal (with the yellow ribbon), and it is in my opinion impossible to wear both the gold and the bronce "Regierungsjubiläums-Medaille". The names of the other medal's recipient were not published so I think it's not possible to get a name here, but at least I'd like to hear some opinions on the strange combination, please ... :blush:

PS: Does someone like my idea that it might actually be a two place bar sewn by a drunken tailor? ;)

post-1172-1158868397.jpeg

Edited by saschaw

Guest Rick Research

Yes indeed. No hooks on back = for officers or "Portepee-Unteroffiziere" as a ribbon bar.

You must be right about the 1906 medal. I almost never see it with a CORRECT ribbon!!!!

[attachmentid=54368]

[attachmentid=54377]

The "usual" Wrong Ribbon I have seen used is that of the MKFVO/M. Not sure (who can be, with a WRONG ribbon?) if that was what was supposed to be on the upper bar, but the lower bar's owner is known and he WAS awarded the 1906-- which he chose to wear on this bar (never had any devices, another odd personal fashion statement) BETWEEN his 1897 and 1902.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks that far, but are we talking about the same medal?

I meant OEK 222, not OEK 221 which look very similar but are very different tough. The first one (222) is said to be only about 100 times awarded whereas I have no numbers for 222, but would guess it is much more common.

The "Erinnerungsmedaille 1906" was only awarded to a very few special people, e.g. Baden soldiers and officers who were in service in 1856 and still were in 1906 (!!!), but also to other special people which were chosen by the grand duke himself.

The "Friedrich Luisen-Medaille" was awarded for merit in social welfare, red cross and stuff like that, and as far as I know not only in 1906 but till 1918 (have no document available, so I'm just guessing here).

Edited by saschaw