News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I think I've heard you like bars... (solved: Oberstleutnant Christian Gockel)

Something else to add: According to the Hof- und Staatshandbuch 1893, p. 168, Gockel didn't receive his BZ3aX until 1874 - which was, much to my surprise, nothing unusual! I didn't count them, but we have to assume a major part of the "1870/71" awards wasn't even made until mid-1870s! We might keep that in mind if we should ever have to identify early 1870s portraits or bars with seemingly "lacking" awards.

2012893864_GockelBZ3aX(1874)u.BZ3aE(1888)Hof-undStaatshandbuch1893S_168.thumb.jpg.0b7a8f5c804e42f49f6a54f9cc838ed2.jpg

It's also noteworthy he received his additional BZ3aE  in 1888. The Staats-Anzeiger 1888, p. 187, mentions he got oaks (E) to a peace time BZ3a, but so far, I couldn't find when he was awarded the cross itself, and cannot exclude a mistake. However, I don't have all issues of mentioned Staats-Anzeiger...

932830303_GockelBZ3aEEzuStaats-Anzeiger1888S_187.thumb.jpg.2a19c1781990ea88cbd375aeed9e2b19.jpg

In accordance to the 1879 statutes, a peace time award would not replace a lower grade with swords. It's not on "our" ribbon bar, however, because this one apparently pre-dates this date. Under the older statutes from 1866, when swords (and swords on ring) were instituted, things were quite different. I found someone who received an BZ2bX for his BZ3aXE for his BZ3a... in case I didn't miss one!

:whistle:

Edited by saschaw

• saschaw changed the title to I think I've heard you like bars ...
    • saschaw changed the title to I think I've heard you like bars... (solved: Oberstleutnant Christian Gockel)