News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SPANISH CROSS

DanCz

Recently members have kindly posted various examples of the Spanish Cross. Can anyone post pictures of examples of the Spanish Cross for the Next of Kin please. I understand that this is a very rare medal so I would be grateful to see examples of originals and copies too. I am sure this will also be of interest to fellow members.

Thank you.

The cross for Next of Kin was instituted on (14.4.1939, RGBl. IS. 1362). It was destinated to the parents of the soldiers who died in Spain or following their wounds, or missed in action. It was awarded 315 times. Just One cross was awarded to the family, in the order to the wife, son, daughter, father, mother, brother, sister.

The cross looks like a small bronze cross wothout sword. it is maintain with a ribbon.

the cross measures 42mm. It is in bronze and very well detailed. the design is only on the obverse, the reverse is smooth. the eagle's swasticas could be cut out or massives (Gerd's cross). the cross is never maker's marked.

It was awarded in a black case of which the upper lid shows an effigie of the cross.

A Document was also sent to the family with the name of the recipient (wife, etc...)

It seems that the family eceived too the spansih cross awarded posthumously to the deceased (gold , silver) plus the spanish decorations among which the "medalla de sufrimientos por la patria".

here are some copies from my files.

The first is an old copy from the 70's, with drop tail eagles, MM L/12 GODET 938.

jacques

Edited by jacques

Fascinating - - my grateful thanks to all who have contributed.

This is indeed a rarely seen medal - thank you for sharing. It looks as tho I will have to make do with a good copy as a "spacefiller" - - - a genuine example has so far eluded me and I have been collecting 30+ years (in truth I have not seen that many copies on the market either).