News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Hungarian Insignia - Tinnie?

Kev in Deva

Hallo Gentlemen,

If posted in the wrong section, please feel fee to move, perhaps we could open a Austrian WW1 tinnie section :unsure:

Came across this a couple of days ago at the local Gypsy market in deva, looks like a tinne but appears never to have had a pin on the rear, there are no holes for sewing onto a jacket either.

The item is a couple of cm across, has the Hungarian Crown and beneath this a strange looking 3 headed beast, devouring a bird ??

Sorry for the small size of the pictures, best I can do.

Please see pictures. any opinions would be gratefuly received.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Kevin,

a machine gun unit collar badge.

Regards

Glenn

Hallo Glenn :beer: many thanks for the ultra-quick reply, nearly matching Ricky there :P

so I take it the dragons are spitting fire (ie machine guns dealing out death and destruction?)

any idea of how it was to be fixed to the uniform? Any collectable / monatary value?

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Guest Rick Research

Kev-- is that painted Field gray? The only ones I have seen were either gold (officers) or silver (enlisted)

here are the CAP badges for officer/enlisted and an Austrian unit's officer collar insignia and a Honved enlisted man's--

the fire breathing dragons (an apt metaphor, na?) were made in pairs facing forward:

[attachmentid=54798]

An Austrian Oberleutnant: you can just barely see the hat badge

[attachmentid=54799]

Here, this is better. These were simply sewn on without holes or prongs.

[attachmentid=54800]

I love this insignia's design.

Guest Rick Research

Enlisted closeup:

[attachmentid=54804]

Officers from the same unit, in 1917. Leutnant in the photo above as F?hnrich 2nd right in 2nd row:

[attachmentid=54805]

Kev-- is that painted Field gray? The only ones I have seen were either gold (officers) or silver (enlisted)

here are the CAP badges for officer/enlisted and an Austrian unit's officer collar insignia and a Honved enlisted man's--

the fire breathing dragons (an apt metaphor, na?) were made in pairs facing forward:

I love this insignia's design.

Ricky, :beer: many thanks for all the great pictures, it appears to be in its original Grey colour, but it dosent look like paint :unsure:

could it be classed as a rare variation??

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Guest Rick Research

The Hapsburgs were masters of chemically applied metallic color. Even their "war zink" was better than the WW2 varieties.

"Rare"? I doubt that.

But possibly one of the best designed military insignia of all times.

The Hapsburgs were masters of chemically applied metallic color. Even their "war zink" was better than the WW2 varieties.

"Rare"? I doubt that.

But possibly one of the best designed military insignia of all times.

Hallo Ricky, :beer:

Images of old FJ in his royal coveralls and gumboots with shirt sleeves rolled up and royal sweat beading on brow, busy applying chemically applied colour to war zink, and prince Karl busy pumping the royal bellows, springs to mind. :P

Care to give a value? I havent seen many on Ebay in all the time I was looking for "stuff" :blush:

Kev in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Rick,

You made mention of the gold vs silver color meaning. Most of these cap and collar badges seem to have come in both colors. I thought that the officer's wore the silver and the enlisted men the gold, as it was done in the air service. Pilots wore silver collar balloons and enlisted men wore gilt.

Here are my examples.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Hallo Rick, Chip & Glen, :beer:

many thanks with regards your replys to my tinnie question, would anybody care to take a stab at this one I saw at the local hobby club this evening, the back appears to have a period repair to the original pin.

I believe its Hungarian, but exactly what for?

Answers on the back of a 500 dollar bill and send to the following address . . . . . . :P

Wishing you all a pleasent weekend from Transylvania. :beer:

Kevin. :beer:

Guest Rick Research

Chip: Nope. I got my information straight from the Austrian military attach? back in the '7-s. I had tons of insignia sewn on index cards from a local barn sale (most incorrectly identified) and he gave me the information.

I see you have Feldgrau too!

Kev: looks like that is some sort of unit tinnie. I can't read WHAT, with the letters bottom right facing the unit number 16 being illegible to me.

Kev: looks like that is some sort of unit tinnie. I can't read WHAT, with the letters bottom right facing the unit number 16 being illegible to me.

Hallo Rick, :beer:

the letters on the badge actualy comprise a date: 1914 on the top, 16th of VIII

or more simply 16th August 1914.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Rick,

Although meant to look subdued or "Feldgrau", the gray finish is more like a matt chemical treatment. You are right, of course, concerning the metal colors. I have a silver frosted balloon insignia, which I knew was an NCO. Got it backwards.

Chip